Senior DevOps Engineer at Zipwhip
Zipwhip is a Seattle-based SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) company that is changing the way businesses and consumers communicate. We invented the capability to text to and from a landline, toll-free or VoIP telephone number and have led the entire industry since. Over 35,000 businesses use our product and we are the fourth fastest-growing company in Washington state. We are backed by Goldman Sachs, Microsoft Ventures, OpenView, Voyager Capital and a host of other investors, and are seeing great growth in customer base and revenue. Zipwhip is the only business-texting provider with direct connections to all Tier 1 and 2 wireless operators in the U.S., and we've delivered billions of texts to consumers nationwide.
The Senior DevOps Engineer will work with software development engineers and product teams to build highly available and reliable systems to support our cutting-edge messaging services. This role will be critical in defining how we build, test, and ship Zipwhip products. You must be eager to learn and excited to apply new platform technology which will deliver delightful experiences to our customers.
- Will bring your unique set of diverse experiences and background to our team in an open and collaborative manner so that we can all expand and grow faster.
- Desire to leverage your expertise and challenge yourself by diving into lesser known areas of technology, architecture, or whatever is needed to solve engineering day-to-day challenges.
- Have an open and honest communication style that always puts the customer first “Will the customer be delighted with this?”.
- Are an expert in public cloud platforms and services like AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- A collaborative team player that can support and mentor other DevOps engineers.
- Are comfortable dealing with ambiguity and a shifting landscape.
- Are curious, willing to learn, share and improve.
What’s the job really?
- Opportunity to leverage cutting edge cloud services to solve complex problems relating to scale and performance.
- Building resilient, secure, and highly available infrastructure using cloud native best practices.
- Collaborate with development and operations teams to build and maintain automated tools for deployment and monitoring.
- Enhance engineering systems (CI/CD pipeline) such as Jenkins clusters, GitHub enterprise, Artifactory, and logging/metrics stack in ELK and Grafana.
- Provide operational support for production systems and development teams as part of weekly on-call rotation.
What to bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in an associated area, or equivalent experience, is required.
- 5+ years of experience in cloud operations, DevOps engineering and release management for large scale SaaS applications in an agile environment.
- Deep technical experience building the infrastructure and network to support a distributed microservice application using Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience working on AWS Cloud and cloud automation tools (Terraform, Ansible, Packer, CloudFormation).
- Experience supporting Java, React-based applications in a production environment.
- Experience in logging/tracing, metrics, monitoring & alerting tools such as OpsGenie, Jaeger, ELK, Prometheus, Grafana/Graphite.
- Extensive experience with Continuous Integration tools (Jenkins, CodeBuild, CodePipline, etc.).
- Experience with version control systems (Git), including branching and merging strategies.
- Hands-on experience working with build tools (Maven, Gradle, SBT, NPM).
- Prior experience managing Linux systems in a production environment and scripting languages (Bash, Python, Go, Ruby).
- Experience with multiple types of databases (MySQL, DynamoDB, Cassandra).
- Hands-on experience managing large clusters of messaging brokers (Kafka, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ).
- Experience with Ethernet and IP networking fundamentals and in the application of IP protocols.
- Experience with major Internet routing protocols, network hardware and packet forwarding architectures.
- We value diversity and strive to create an environment where everyone can feel safe, valued, empowered, and connected.
- A fun, lively startup culture and one of Seattle's coolest offices, with waterfront view.
- We don’t just talk the talk. Our award-winning culture stems from having a core set of values that are lived daily from the top down.
- Ample opportunities for professional growth, internal advancement and movement, and company-supported learning.
- Competitive compensation and stock options.
- Full benefits package including parental leave, a matching 401k program, PTO, and medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- Subsidized access to a fitness center + other onsite wellness offerings.
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage.
- Complimentary snacks, complimentary beverages and free lunch on Fridays catered by local chefs.
Zipwhip strives for an equitable, inclusive and welcoming culture that values and honors diverse experiences and perspectives, that fosters the constructive expression of ideas, and that promotes intellectual curiosity, creativity, and respect. Equity and inclusivity can only flourish and reach full potential with continued effort and accountability, nourished by a collective sense of responsibility and mission on the part of the entire company. We are committed to the continued development of our diverse of people, ideas, and approaches, which will strengthen our mission to make texting with businesses as natural as it is with family and friends.
We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
We are an E-verify participating employer.