Who we are:
Rover.com connects pet parents with the world’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalized care for their dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, and doggy day care. Founded in 2011 on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
Our global headquarters are in Seattle, Washington in the United States, working closely with our teams in Spokane, Berlin, London, and Barcelona. We have a track record of being recognized as a great place to work, having been named among Seattle's 'Best Places to Work' in Seattle Business Magazine and the Puget Sound Business Journal for three years running. We're an agile, fast-growing company, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies. Our pioneering approach to people and pups alike landed us on the list of GeekWire’s Next Tech Titan in 2019 and the World's Most Innovative Companies in 2018 by Fast Company. Needless to say (but we're going to say it anyway)—we love dogs, and we wouldn't dream of going to work without them by our sides.
Who we're looking for:
Rover is seeking an experienced and highly technical engineering leader to help evolve our software systems to support our continued growth. In particular, this role will be leading our back-end platform team which currently has two teams of developers:
Booking Engine + Communications
Focused on ensuring the stability and expanding the features of our core revenue generating components.
The Application Architecture
Tasked with improving the architecture of our Python application backend, including the API interface and improving the modularity of that codebase, this team is also responsible for the shared components that make up different networked applications at Rover.
- Inspire, recruit, develop, and manage top tier talent
- Lead our efforts to improve our server-side application architecture, including external API interfaces and Python application modularity
- Lead our efforts to make our core "booking engine" into a platform, including end
- Develop KPIs and evaluate progress against each of your areas of responsibility
- Communicate and demonstrate the value of this work to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- 5+ years of hands-on software development experience
- 8+ years of management experience
- Experience with large scale cloud-based software systems, ideally on AWS
- Experience with large software projects, ideally in a dynamic language
- Experience managing managers is a plus
- We are proud to be professional software developers building high quality, scalable, and supportable solutions.
- We embrace progressive engineering practices including a continuous deployment pipeline and automated testing. Our engineers just merge their branch and it ships.
- We're serious about the quality of our production operations, and employ thorough system, application, and user interaction monitoring and anomaly detection.
- We're data-driven and believe in informing many of our decisions through experimentation.
- Our feature teams represent small autonomous business units with developers, product managers, and designers working side-by-side.
- And, dogs in the office. Bring yours, too!
Benefits of Working at Rover.com:
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- 4 weeks paid time off
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting your first dog
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs)
- Free catered lunches semi-monthly
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more
- 50 free dog walks a year
Rover embraces diversity and opposes discrimination.
This position is based at Rover HQ in Downtown Seattle.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the US.
Rover is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse, inclusive and inventive environment with the best employees. We’re driven by seeing our people succeed and grow, and we work to ensure everyone contributes to their fullest potential. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.