Senior Manager of Engineering, AvaTax
As a Senior Manager of Engineering, you will lead a team of seasoned engineers responsible for the scaling, availability and architecture of Avalara’s tax calculation engine. You will be a thought leader in this space building opportunities for the practical application to meet the needs of massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment. You will lead a high-performance engineering team and be a mentor and motivator for team members.
Avalara is the worldwide leader in sales and use tax calculation. The work we do is fundamental to electronic commerce. We're the first to admit it - sales tax isn't sexy. But revolutionizing fundamental business processes -- that's big time. And that's what we're doing every day, bringing technology to bear on the arcane process of sales tax calculation, reporting and remitting. Our work improves the lives of our customers by making tedious business processes they must participate in simple and easy.
We have a startup culture focused on building great software and having the maximum impact on the world that we can, and having fun while doing it. We’d love to talk to you about what we are up to.
Specific Objectives and Responsibilities
The successful candidate should have robust client-server development experience, a proven ability to learn new approaches in emerging technologies, a high degree of intellectual curiosity, experience with multiple software development methodologies, excellent problem-solving skills, and strong communication and interpersonal skills.
The person who succeeds in this role will enable the continued growth of AvaTax platform, delivering reliability, performance and features to the product. You will also lead a high-performance engineering team that is skilled in using the most relevant technology so as to ensure the development efforts add value, meet corporate objectives and launch targets.
The primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Provide leadership of the AvaTax architecture engineering team.
- Champion of development best practices for the team: design, architecture, re-use, performance, and quality.
- Ensure that product architecture and technology decisions support business area strategies and future direction of product lines.
- Take active ownership of complex feature areas in the application and technical problems.
- Have the ability to write code on both the backend and in the frontend by example, establishing high standards around productivity, quality, and simplicity.
- Enjoys helping coworkers by reviewing their code, pair-programming, and evangelizing better practices
- Provide people, process, and hands-on technical leadership to the engineering team.
- Mentor, motivate, and lead the Engineering team to support a vibrant and productive engineering culture.
- Be Engineering team’s Agile process evangelist and help the team learn, adopt and grow into actively using Agile based development.
- Actively engage in sprint planning, delivery and managing the releases.
- Ensure consistent best practices, processes, and procedures for software development, quality assurance, and maintenance.
- Thrive on learning new technologies, don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions and adapt easily to meet the needs of massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment
- Actively engages with developing industry tools and practices to remain current.
- Coordinate recruiting efforts across engineering center to ensure consistency and continued excellence.
Qualifications (absolute must haves walking in the door)
- Currently in a engineering management role and has experience working on scalable software products with engineering teams.
- Worked on a diverse set of full stack and back end technologies.
- Hands on skills in one or more object oriented programming languages
- Experience with AWS technology stack and services
- Motivated to explore new opportunities in leading edge technologies
- Highly detail oriented and well organized.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills