Senior Product Security Engineer at Outreach (Seattle, WA)
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:01 a.m. (PST) on Wednesday, November 2, 2022
By clicking Apply Now you agree to share your profile information with the hiring company.
Our success is reliant on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can elevate assumptions and ideas with fresh perspectives. We're dedicated to hiring the whole human, not just a resume. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants-including those from historically marginalized groups. We would like to invite you to apply even if you don't think you meet all of the requirements listed below. We don't want a few lines in a job description to get between us and the opportunity to meet you.
About The Team
Do you have a passion for securing cloud-native environments? Are you interested in creating and defining industry-leading standards and patterns? Would you like the opportunity to work with a world class engineering team, to train, mentor, and grow a security oriented development culture? Outreach’s needs Sr. Product Security Engineers who can work with our product engineering teams to create security features and functions, as well as set the standards and direction for our cloud-native, continuous-deployment application security program.
The ideal candidate has the skills of an application security engineer, with a background in development or engineering as well as deep understanding of application security vulnerabilities and mitigations. However, this is a role focused on building, rather than breaking -- instead of penetration testing and security review, this role focuses on researching current security threats and mitigations, and finding ways to apply those to our service portfolio and Secure Development Lifecycle. The ideal candidate enjoys talking to customers and will take ownership of the ongoing improvement of the processes and technical security controls used by our engineering teams to securely develop industry leading products, while also driving security-related product feature work.
Starting day one, you will be working with product managers and engineering partners from across our organization, and at times, directly with our customers. You will help train and collaborate with PMs and engineers to design and implement the processes into our CI/CD pipeline to reduce the chance of vulnerabilities in our production code. You will help develop a mix of technical/engineer focused training and awareness materials, contribute to coding standards, and produce position papers and technical specifications for security mitigations and features.
The primary focus areas for this position are:
Technical Fluency - A passion for security and technology, familiarity with DevOps methodology and containers, SaaS and cloud security solutions and standards, and microservice architectures.
Advisory Skills - Giving direction, advice and support that helps grow the technical and collaboration skills of the individuals and teams with which they engage.
Execution - Planning, coordination, managing dependencies and risks, diving deep when issues arise. Ability to work with people and drive a program to completion is a must.
Your Daily Adventures Will Include
- Develop, document and manage the security standards and design patterns used by all engineers to deliver consistent, secure features and code.
- Research the threat landscape, regulatory considerations, and customer requirements applicable to Outreach’s business and recommend security solutions to address known (and potential) threats and risks by identifying and implementing appropriate engineering security requirements.
- Participate in customer calls to both partner and educate on how to best secure the Outreach platform.
- Conducting Threat Models and training engineers to use threat modeling concepts and other standard evaluation practices to identify and prioritize risk potential vulnerabilities and in collaboration define possible mitigations.
- Ensuring cross company collaboration by establishing a strong partnership between security and engineering teams with the overarching goal of improving trust of Outreach and its products.
Our Vision Of You
- A minimum of 3 years experience as a senior or principal application security engineer or architect
- Extensive information security development program experience including the threat models, secure coding best practices, finding vulnerabilities and secrets in code, and coordinating appropriate remediations in a cloud native SaaS environment. Knowledge of the modern application vulnerability and mitigation landscape is essential.
- Experience creating reference architectures, engineering specs, and data flow diagrams - experience building customer-facing content a plus.
- Experience performing code review for security vulnerabilities.
- Demonstrated success working with engineers and technologies in cloud native, devops environments (including CI/CD pipelines, microservices, and infrastructure as code).
- Significant experience in partnering and collaborating with individual engineers, as well as creating formal documentation assets to summarize and represent program effectiveness to executive leadership.
- Experience evaluating, selecting and implementing third party programs and services to support a successful SDL program.
- Experience training and mentoring peers with application security skills and best practices.
- Excellent interpersonal and management skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills --experience working with customers, customer marketing or customer support teams a plus.
- Ability to work flexibly and independently to achieve results within the dynamic Outreach culture.
Why You’ll Love It Here
• Generous medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees and their dependents
• Flexible time off
• 401k to help you save for the future
• Company-organized and personal paid volunteer days to support the community that supports us
• Fun company and team outings (or virtual events these days!) because we play just as hard as we work
• Diversity and inclusion programs that promote employee resource groups like OWN (Outreach Women's Network), AAPI, Rainbow (LGBTQIA+), Gender+, LatinX, Black Excellence, Disability Community, and Veterans
• A parental leave program that includes not just extended time off but options for a paid night nurse, food delivery, gradual return to work, and the Gottman Institute's Bringing Home Baby course for new parents
• Employee referral bonuses to encourage the addition of great new people to the team
• Plus, unlimited snacks and beverages in our kitchen
• We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
Read Full Job Description