Senior Software Development Engineer
Are you a seasoned developer looking for an exciting opportunity at the world’s largest travel company? Do you enjoy a fast-paced Agile environment where your hard work is destined to go to Production as often as every 2 weeks? Do you take pride in having a direct impact on the revenue generation capabilities of your company? If you answered, “Yes,” then we are eager to hear from you.
Expedia Global Payments (EGP) is looking for top engineering talent to help drive the development of our payments platform, seamlessly roll out new payments methods, and to continuously raise the bar on our operational excellence and engineering practices. Our services are the nexus of a globally distributed system that spans many organizations. Our roadmap is deep and contains several innovative programs designed to make our services fault tolerant, reduce the cost of payment processing, and improve customer experience. This includes compensating for downstream services that are not in Expedia's control. We are also looking to use cloud computing (AWS) to further solidify our infrastructure. This opportunity presents you with great technical challenges and the ability to have a tremendous business impact. We do this accurately and at scale, processing over $80 billion payments in 55+ currencies in over 155 countries every year across diverse payment options.
What you'll do
This position focuses not only on implementing software solutions for state of the art e-commerce processing systems but also on being a role model and mentor to your fellow engineers. You will get to expand your skills in building highly scalable solutions while influencing others and raising the bar on the overall level of excellence within the team. You will also get the opportunity to hone your skills in influencing decisions across the technology ecosystem within Expedia Inc. by being a key subject matter expert in cross-functional feature delivery. Your input will be critical to the selection of new hires on the team. Whether you choose to move ahead in your career to a Principal Engineer role or manage people, this is the perfect position to learn how to move to the next stage of your career.
Who you are
- 8+ years Software Development work experience (Java experience strongly preferred)
- 5+ years creating and supporting Web Services in a high transactional environment
- 3+ years developing software using Dependency Injection Frameworks.
- First class communication skills in written and verbal form
- Proven record in technical mentoring of Software Engineers
- Critical thinking skills and the ability to produce across your team and beyond
- Rock solid coding skills
- Strong Object-Oriented Programming concepts, data structure, algorithms, and system level programming (including multi-threaded programming)
- Track record of building your own automation and reporting tools to provide capabilities around your service
- Ability to lead code reviews and technical design meetings
- Proven record in successfully delivering highly available and scalable solutions with large transaction volume on a 24x7 operational cycle
- Architectural knowledge of designing and developing software in distributed architecture for multi-tier applications
- Thorough understanding of Software Development Lifecycle and methodologies
- Ability to articulate technical design decisions and software implementation in technical forums
- Knowledge of performance testing, application tuning and load testing
- A degree in computer science or equivalent experience.
- Prior experience with e-Commerce systems, Payments Solutions and Providers is a big plus.
- Experience developing fault tolerant distributed systems is highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of Agile Software Development mechanics.
- Background in Service Oriented Architecture implementation, service versioning, and backward compatibility
Why join us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
*LI-JA1Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.