Senior Software Engineer - Android at Hiya, Inc.
We believe that phone calls should be secure, engaging, void of fraud and robocalls. We believe the phone app is the most outdated app on your smartphone, that the phone network is the largest social network in the world and it lacks a trust and engagement layer. You should know who's calling you and why! You should get the calls that are relevant to you (at that time) and none of the ones that aren't. Hiya is building the modern layer for the phone call experience. We already serve nearly 100M users worldwide directly through our apps and in partnership with mobile device makers like Samsung and mobile carriers like AT&T. Are you ready to help us get the next 900M users?
We are hiring a Sr. Android Software Engineer to lead the efforts on the latest product initiatives for Hiya direct-to-consumer Android apps that provide context for users to decide if they should answer a phone call or not. As an engineer on the apps team, you will work with a modern Android stack working in Kotlin and leveraging the latest versions of the SDK. You will work in an agile and highly collaborative environment with other fellow senior engineers, designers, and product managers in order to bring quality products to the millions of Hiya users around the world.
As a Senior Android Engineer for Hiya Apps, you'll:
- Help design and build new features for our flagship Android products - Hiya and Mr. Number.
- Be part of an agile and collaborative product design and development process.
- Learn and work with new technologies and find innovative ways of overcoming limitations imposed by the OS in order to bring reliable spam protection to millions of users.
- Own and manage the end-to-end development and evolution of new features.
- Mentor junior team members as the team grow and aspire to move into engineering leadership and product ownership roles.
- Participate in R&D efforts of new features and take MVP solutions through the validation phase to production by working with the product team.
- Plan, design, and implement instrumentation to gauge user behaviors and real-time issues.
You don't have to check all the boxes, but we think these are important requirements for this role:
- You have a BS or MS in Computer Science or related fields (Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Electrical Engineering).
- You have been a software engineer working on native Android apps for a number of years.
- You are proficient in Kotlin, Java, MVVM, and core Android SDK features and classes.
- You have experience with popular OSS libraries such as Retrofit, Dagger and Rxjava2.
- You are familiar with RESTful APIs and have used such APIs in an Android app.
- You have experience with threading, async operations, and backgrounding modes.
- You have experience working in an agile team environment and you have been involved in the full development life cycle for an Android app.
- You have worked at a startup (< 500 employees) in the last 5 years or you believe you'll excel in a startup environment (high ambiguity, high urgency, fast-paced, low support structure).
You'll be an important member of our team to help us serve consumers and you'll have the exposure and experience to accelerate your career growth while making phone calls better for everyone.
Hiya is committed to diversity and inclusion and we desire to build a team with a variety of perspectives, identities, and professional experiences. It's our intention to evaluate each candidate exclusively in the merits of their skills, competencies, and contribution to the organization.
This position is based in Seattle on our beautiful waterfront office, right next to Pike Place Market (it doesn't get more iconic than this)
Hiya is an equal opportunity employer. We value and embrace diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age or disability status