Senior Software Engineer, Backend (SaaS Product Offering) at Zipwhip
We are one of the main reasons it’s possible to text with a business today. Zipwhip was the first company to enable texting on existing business phone numbers, and we are now the world’s leading business-texting software and API provider. More than 35,000 companies use us to increase customer engagement and drive growth through texting on their existing landline, VoIP or toll-free phone number. Intuitive cloud-based software, an enterprise-grade API and direct network connectivity mean businesses can use any computer or mobile device to securely and reliably reach their customers, every time.
Our strong venture backing allows us to aggressively invest in our product, technology and team; we’ve received nearly $100 million in funding from the likes of Goldman Sachs, M12 (Microsoft Ventures) and OpenView. We are consistently ranked one of Washington’s fastest-growing workplaces, and were voted the 6th best place to work in the state by Seattle Business magazine and The Puget Sound Business Journal in 2019.
Every day we work to uphold our core DIRECT values: Determination, Innovation, Respect, Enthusiasm, Collaboration and Trust. We know that we’ll build better products if we have a diverse and inspired team that’s encouraged to make mistakes and experiment.
If you want to be part of a team where you’re supported and empowered to change the way the world communicates, then we’d love to hear from you.
How this role makes an impact:
We are searching for a seasoned senior developer to aid in the growth of our existing team and to leverage their experience building scalable and robust services that power our primary SaaS software and Integration systems. We are looking for engineers that take pride in delivering quality products and are enthusiastic about technology and strives for the opportunity to learn and share their knowledge.
- Have a desire to leverage your expertise but also dive into new areas of technology and architecture to solve new challenges.
- Have an open and honest communication style that always puts the customer first “Will the customer be delighted with this?”.
- Enjoy working with product and engineering leadership to understand customer’s needs and transform them into well-crafted solutions that respect timelines and cost.
- Are curious, willing to learn, share and improve.
What you'll be working on:
- Desire to lead and collaborate on all aspects of software development lifecycle: requirements; design; implementation; testing; and operations
- Drive software architecture discussions and technical decisions both within the team and across the department
- Working collaboratively with product managers and stakeholders to own and manage a rapidly evolving product roadmap that delivers on company goals.
The skills you'll need:
- 7+ years of experience in a Software Engineer/Developer role
- In-depth knowledge of Java 8+ language and JVM runtime
- Proficiency with Spring Framework (4.5+) and Spring Boot (1.5+)
- A passion for practicing software best-practices (e.g. Software Craftsmanship; Clean Code; Effective Java; SOLID principles, etc.)
- Preference toward TDD (Test Driven Development) and leveraging automated testing to ensure safe, iterative development with quality built-in
- Experience with both defining ReST APIs as a producer and integrating with existing ones as a consumer
- Confidently navigate a distributed system environment in phases of design through operational troubleshooting and optimization
- Experience with both SQL and NoSQL (preferably MongoDB)
- Experience with Kafka
- Desire to mentor other engineers and help them grow – whether through pair-programming, code reviews or ad-hoc learning sessions
- Working in agile teams or startup environment with strong customer focus.
- Show organizational agility, cross-team collaboration, commitment for results, and written and verbal communications.
- Bachelor’s Degree in CS or related field or equivalent experience
- Ranked the #6 best workplace in Washington in 2019 from Seattle Business magazine and The Puget Sound Business Journal
- Consistently ranked one of Washington’s fastest-growing companies by Deloitte
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full benefits package including parental leave, 401k, flexible remote work, generous PTO
- Health benefits including paid maternity and paternity leave, medical, vision, disability and life insurance
- Free on-site weekly yoga and meditation classes hosted by ZUM fitness, and discounted memberships to Soul Fitness and CorePower Yoga
- A brand new office on Elliott Bay with easy beachfront park access
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage
- A culture of transparency and open communication, including a catered weekly lunch meeting hosted by our CEO
- Values-based leadership and a commitment to building diversity and inclusion
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity of all kinds. We prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally recognized basis. This includes, but isn’t limited to, race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, creed, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
We are an E-verify participating employer.