Senior Software Engineer - Cloud Operations (AWS/Kubernetes)
- You are a Software engineer who has deep experience designing, implementing and managing customer-facing web app infrastructure
- You have experience developing tools to drive automation in container based cloud environments.
- You can write well-formed software to deliver and support production-grade solutions
- You are experienced with designing and implementing tools to enable deployment and monitoring of production infrastructure
- You are experienced at working with Software Engineers and Product Managers to refine loose requirements into detailed specifications, and manage scope to balance outcomes and costs
- You love mentoring, and you know how to break it down for people across the company
- You have excellent communication skills, a proactive disposition and love being part of a team
- 5+ years experience in Software Engineering
- Cloud management for container based web-infrastructures - AWS, Kubernetes
- Experienced running Infrastructure as Code - EG: Terraform, Cloudstack or similarWeb app / Tools development - Python/Django (or similar, Go, Ruby/Rails, etc.)
- Tech Operations - metrics, troubleshooting, logs, incident response, on-call rotations
- System administration - Linux
- System and application monitoring (DataDog, Loggly, etc.)
- Configuration management - SaltStack (or similar tooling - Chef, Ansible, etc.)
- Software build systems (Jenkins, Buildkite, etc.)
The Cloud Infrastructure Team:
- We are a group of five people (six with you!) that manage the AWS Cloud Infrastructure and Kubernetes at Rover
- We “own” AWS and manage most of our infrastructure. Some services and components are managed by our fellow infrastructure teams (the data infrastructure team, for example, manages RDS and Redshift, the IT team manages its own AWS accounts)
- We are the experts on Kubernetes. We manage the clusters and deploy pipelines (also in collaboration with a fellow team) and support the dev teams on their journey to Kubernetes and service architectures (Rover’s webapp is running in Django).
- We love automation.
- We use hosted services where we can. Datadog and Loggly are just two examples.
- We also love thoroughness, finishing what you started and working on the right things.
- We have two engineers in Seattle and one in Barcelona, Spain, a dedicated Technical Product Manager and an Engineering Manager
- We work closely with engineers on feature, platform and the other infrastructure teams and with people outside of Rover’s Tech organization.
- We start - and finish - a bit earlier than most teams at Rover and work at the office (most of the time).
- Dogs in the office. Bring yours, too!
- Lightweight, Agile processes constantly improved with retrospectives.
- Fully automated testing and deployment system. Just merge your branch and it ships.
- Integrated teams with developers and designers work side-by-side.
- Data-driven decision making with A/B testing.
- Contributions back into the open source community.
- We are friendly, supportive and respectful, and we pay attention to the impact and quality of our work.
- Work/Life balance
Why we'll hire you:
- Your qualified for the position and your values align with Rover's Core Values (https://www.rover.com/careers/core-values/)
- You have experience using our tools or similar ones
- You strive for continuous improvement
- You can pitch your own ideas and shepherd them through to completion
- You have a sense for materiality, and know when to call it ‘good enough’ and ship or when to put in the extra time to polish
- You play nicely with others
Benefits of Working at Rover.com
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- Flexible paid time off
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting your first dog
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs)
- Free catered lunches semi-monthly
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more