Senior Software Engineer, Consumer Services
PayScale is the world leader in modern compensation software. We believe data-informed discussions about compensation benefit both employers and employees and that greater pay transparency promotes equity, engagement and employee retention. We are bringing the dark art of compensation into the light by helping individuals understand the right pay for their position and more than 7,000 businesses retain and manage their largest investment: their people.
We’re transforming the compensation industry and are looking to bring on talented professionals like you with diverse perspectives. At PayScale, we acknowledge and value our differences as well as our combined strengths. We want all employees, regardless of their background, to feel respected personally and professionally. We foster a working environment that generates new ideas, promotes ownership and experimentation and encourages highly motivated individuals to be truly creative. Are you bright, tenacious, and inventive? If so, PayScale may be the perfect place for you to grow your career!
What We Do: The Consumer Services team is focused on empowering employers, employees, and job seekers with compellingly presented real-time data. We build and maintain services, APIs and data processes that back millions of pages on our website.
What You Do: As a member this team, you will work closely with product, data, and front-end engineers to guarantee that we're providing our millions of users with accurate and updated compensation data. You will use your excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills to take on large system, data and technical problems.
Day-in-the-Life: As a Senior Software Engineer, a typical day may include the following…
- Plenty of keyboard time working on back-end services and processes.
- Working in two-week Agile sprints with a two-hour planning meetings every other Monday.
- Providing quality and thoughtful feedback on peer code reviews.
- Mentoring your peers and sharing your knowledge and takeaways with the entire engineering organization.
First Year in Role:
- Month 3: Partnering with your teammates, you have completed a couple handfuls of bug fixes and feature changes. Your changes will be live in production making an impact on our consumer users and company metrics.
- Month 6: At this point, you have completely ramped up on the team with the ability to pick up any task on the sprint board and complete it on your own from start to finish.
- Month 12: You are fully integrated into the PayScale engineering organization and you are an authority in many of the projects, services, and processes that we own as a team.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience.
- You have previous experience with C# or other OOP languages.
- You have experience launching high performance and scalable services and applications into cloud platforms.
- You have working knowledge of relational and no-SQL databases.
- You have familiarity/experience with unit testing and crafting testable code.
- You can explain technical concepts to developers, project managers, and technical managers.
- You have the ability and desire to work with a team of people solving complex problems that often require independent research with minimal supervision.
- We write all our back-end code in C#.
- We work in Azure utilizing technologies such as Functions, Blob Storage, SQL and more.
- We use TeamCity and Octopus for our build and deploy pipeline.
- We track all our work in Jira and store all our git repositories in Bitbucket.
Meet Your Manager: Nicole Cua joined the consumer team at PayScale in 2014 as a full-stack developer then began refining her front-end development skills before taking a management position in 2016. Nicole now manages the consumer development team, working closely with the product team to ensure that the team delivers features at the highest quality.
Hiring Process: “Change is the only constant in life (and PayScale)” – Heraclites (okay, so we paraphrased a bit). The hiring process outlined below is a rough overview, and is subject to change based on business priority, interviewer availability, etc.
- Phone interview with Talent Acquisition (30 minutes)
- HackerRank coding challenge (up to 3 hours)
- Coffee with Hiring Manager (45 minutes)
- In-person interview with team (4-5 hours)
Benefits & Perks – The Highlights:
- Unlimited Paid Time Off policy
- 10 paid holidays AND Summer office closure the entire week of July 4th
- Amazing Medical/Vision/Dental/Prescription coverage: 100% company-paid premiums for employees; 50% for eligible partners and dependents
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options for pre-tax employee allocations towards: Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, and Transit
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, and Company-paid Life Insurance
- Competitive Maternity and Paternity Leave, and onsite Mother’s Room
- 401k with company match, vests immediately
- Onsite bike storage, lockers, showers, and clothes dryer
- Ergo friendly chairs and sitting-standing desks
- Company-hosted happy hours every Friday afternoon
- Fido Fridays (our canine colleagues join us the first Friday of every month. WOOF!)
Equal Opportunity Employer: PayScale provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. PayScale complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.