Our success is reliant on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can elevate assumptions and ideas with fresh perspectives. We're dedicated to hiring the whole human, not just a resume. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants-including those from historically marginalized groups. We would like to invite you to apply even if you don't think you meet all of the requirements listed below. We don't want a few lines in a job description to get between us and the opportunity to meet you.
About the Team / Role
The Dev Tooling team is an internal-facing team dedicated to enabling the entire engineering organization to do better, faster, and safer development, through the development of tooling, services, processes, documentation, or whatever else is helpful. This wide and intentionally-vague charter encompasses a slew of evolving topics. If there’s a common thread between multiple projects, whether discovered in the present or envisaged for the future, we try to get out ahead and build the systems, tooling, and training needed for that work to be successful.
We have developed an in-house Kubernetes development environment (read about it at our medium article: https://outreach-eng.medium.com/localizer-an-adventure-in-creating-a-reverse-tunnel-tunnel-manager-for-kubernetes-47c614606b68 that the entire engineering organization bases their daily work on. We have also built a templating-based project and set of libraries to rapidly and securely build Golang-based services, libraries, tools, and CLIs that easily test and deploy across our local development through production environments. Our team is evolving these pieces toward a fully open-sourced client+server development and deployment environment “startup in a box”, with the goal of building a vibrant community around it. We also build/maintain a select set of cross-team shared services to prove out our service development platform -- utilities like secure OAuth token storage, rate-limiting systems, long-running actions, and notification systems.
The dev tooling team is, by design, a team of generalists. With the wide charter, you may find yourself spending a morning building a logging library and the afternoon working with a client team to design and build an efficient way to test their code against production-like services. We spend our time balancing between live support to enable/unblock our engineering coworkers and feature development. The team provides myriad opportunities to expand your knowledge and skills, both of the raw technical type as well as feature/product design. If a charter this vague sounds exciting to you, you might just be a dev tooler. Come find out!
Your Daily Adventures Will Include
- Building out our service framework so feature teams can focus on business logic
- Debugging Kubernetes service interactions and developing common manifests across projects
- Envisioning, designing, and building lower-level share-able services to be utilized by feature services
- Designing automatically-deploying end-to-end multi-service integration test frameworks
- Identifying common threads among upcoming projects and building common libraries/frameworks/processes to bring them together
- Working with internal teams to help prioritize new work based on current/future needs
- Triaging feedback and bugs from users (currently internal but soon external as well)Engaging with the open source community around our development system
- You thrive in an ambiguous environment that requires seeking out and collaborating with both your team and the rest of the company to design effective solutions
- Experience designing and supporting internal-facing tooling where the “customers” are your coworkers
- Understanding of which details are important and ability to prioritize incremental delivery
- Experience with container-based workflows and services (Kubernetes preferred but not required)Experience designing, building, and supporting infrastructure services
- Familiar with continuous deployment environments
- Willingness to learn new technologies (most of our time is spent in Golang, with a smattering of Ruby/Rails, Typescript, and Elixir)You embody our core values. We are hungry craftspeople, we have grit, we are honest, we take ownership, we have each other’s back no matter what, we’re one with our customers, and we find strength in diversity and inclusion
Why You’ll Love It Here
• Generous medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees and their dependents
• Flexible time off
• 401k to help you save for the future
• Company-organized and personal paid volunteer days to support the community that supports us
• Fun company and team outings (or virtual events these days!) because we play just as hard as we work
• Diversity and inclusion programs that promote employee resource groups like OWN (Outreach Women's Network), AAPI, Rainbow (LGBTQIA+), Gender+, LatinX, Black Excellence, Disability Community, and Veterans
• A parental leave program that includes not just extended time off but options for a paid night nurse, food delivery, gradual return to work, and the Gottman Institute's Bringing Home Baby course for new parents
• Employee referral bonuses to encourage the addition of great new people to the team
• Plus, unlimited snacks and beverages in our kitchen (once we're back in the office, that is!)
• We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status