Chewy is hiring a Senior Software Engineer to work on Chewy’s Discovery Technology and join our team in Seattle, WA. The Search team is responsible for the consumer journey across Chewy.com. This consumer journey is prominent across all of Chewy, enabling customers to discover products through to browse nodes, search results and more. As a Senior member of the engineering team, you will own the responsibility for the discovery experience design, development and implementation. In this role, the ideal candidate will engage in iterative development, testing, and make contributions to the growth and development of one of Chewy's fastest growing areas. Finally, you will be involved in high-impact decisions and initiatives undertaken by the company, giving you a front row seat to shape Chewy’s growth.
To be successful in the role, you will need a proven track record of being a disruptor, innovator, and forward-looking engineer. Equally as important, you will need to operate at depth, understanding every detail of the organization’s product goals, as well as being able to “zoom out” to connect the dots across the technology stack. This individual will partner with both technical and business teams on multiple initiatives and collaborate to deliver new features and enhancements. The role will have tremendous visibility in the product, technology & business organizations of Chewy.
What You'll Do:
- You will have responsibility over major components of Chewy’s search functions, scalable solutions around server side rendering, a/b testing frameworks, designing cloud routing infrastructure, and serverless tech
- Apply vision, strategy, and thought leadership to impact Chewy, at scale
- Evolve and grow world-class Chewy search services, serving millions of search queries
- Immerse yourself in imagining and providing cutting-edge solutions to large-scale information retrieval problems
- Have a relentless focus on scalability, latency, performance robustness, and cost trade-offs -- especially those present in highly virtualized, elastic, cloud-based environments
- Develop and support, the smooth 24x7 operation of our search services
- Work with Engineering Leadership to drive best practices in software development, testing, and production deployment
- Hire, train, and mentor more junior engineers on the team
What You'll Need
- 6+ years of experience designing, building, deploying, operating, scaling, testing, and evolving distributed systems and high-volume transaction application in a 24/7 environment
- 5+ years of industry experience in software development in Java, C#, C++, or other object-oriented programming languages.
- Must possess a bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
- Passion for optimizing systems
- Solid communication skills and ability to work well in a team are critical
- AWS development experience or other major cloud provider
- Experience in Agile/Scrum development process
- Experience in Web/Product search for Information Retrieval
- Position will require travel between Seattle and Boston at least once per calendar year