Senior Software Engineer, Payments at Remitly
Are you looking to grow, own meaningful projects, and work in a compelling problem space?
At Remitly, we help immigrant communities around the world send over $6 billion a year to their loved ones. Sending money is faster, easier, and costs less with our all-digital money transfer platform. Our vision is to transform the lives of immigrants and their families by providing the most trusted financial service products on the planet. At Remitly, your work has a direct and positive impact on people around the globe. Your work matters, every day.
As a Sr. Software Development Engineer at Remitly, you are a builder and a leader, responsible for tackling complex technical and customer problems and creating great products backed by great systems. We use a variety of modern languages, tools, and frameworks to build applications and services on top of a scalable cloud architecture. Our startup work environment is fast-paced, collaborative, passionate and growing quickly.
Our Payments team is pioneering that growth, launching and incubating our remittance product in new markets while working across all technical systems in the company. We're a small team, in multiple locations, working closely with business, product, front- and back-end engineers.
Successful senior engineers leverage years of experience to research and evaluate technical options, then apply best practices and design patterns to architect, build, and maintain high quality systems. They work across teams to define and articulate the true technical requirements underlying feature requests, and design with an eye for simultaneously accomplishing company goals, improving existing systems, and reducing technical debt. They are also acutely aware that software isn’t complete after shipping, instead designing for stability, monitoring, and maintenance over time; they create systems that can evolve but last for years. More than just building, senior engineers also mentor, evangelize best practices and continuously push for technical excellence across the company.
Some examples of interesting problems include:
- Integrating a scalable platform for connecting to diverse bank APIs around the globe to collect, manage, and track funds
- Creating customer experiences offering our service in new countries, enabling new payment methods, reducing fraud risk reduction or improving operational supportability
- Building resilient systems to detect and respond to external system outages
- Routing traffic among external systems with inputs around dynamic pricing, availability, SLA and other data
- A BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent professional experience
- 5+ years of experience as a software developer
- A deep understanding of software development best practices, system design, software design patterns and algorithms
- A proven track record of building, shipping, and maintaining web services and systems on AWS
- Strong ability to mentor and influence other engineers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience defining and influencing technical best practices across a team