As the founding member and lead for Axon's VR/AR engineering team, you will be responsible for bridging the gap between our VR content and the broader Axon Ecosystem. We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer to design and build cloud services that power our VR and AR-based training, as well as build out a broader engineering team over time. The training we produce will communicate with Axon's cloud, based in Microsoft Azure Platform, and provide both internal and external users an experience to manage VR analytics reporting, VR content, device health, and an admin portal for the thousands of agencies where our VR systems are deployed. You will partner with multiple engineering teams, both internally and externally, while leveraging your interest in backend technologies and services to make our solutions better, easier to maintain and more performant. We are working with cutting edge technology and need your help to make it all come together.
You will join an interdisciplinary team tackling the biggest challenges in public safety training head-on, including immersive VR-based empathy development training and de-escalation training to help officers engage with the communities they serve with greater awareness and safety. We seek to accomplish this while abiding to the following guiding principles:
Build AR and VR Solutions for Social Good: With our mission to Protect Life, we develop AR/VR solutions that benefit both law enforcement and the community, while addressing key issues in society.
Empower Agencies with Data: Deliver ongoing data and analysis that provide agencies with key insights that enable them to make decisions that result in building better, more efficient, and positive programs.
Develop an Active and Diverse Virtual Platform: Leverage the latest in AR & VR technologies to create a robust portfolio of solutions and the highest-quality content, that enable users to be more effective in their roles and manage the challenges of 21st century public safety.
Your Day to Day:
- Work closely with various core tech teams and other external organizations to define architecture and develop services that work towards our various technology roadmaps and products.
- Review requirements, specifications and technical design documents to provide timely and impactful feedback.
- Develop micro-services and core features from initial design to final deployment.
- Work with partners in other disciplines and other teams to drive collaborative efforts.
- Ensure streamlined deployment of product in cloud environments.
- 5+ years of experience in software engineering
- Experience building complex and impactful software in a team environment
- Experience with Cloud (PaaS, SaaS) services and solutions
- Backend service experience in managed languages such as Java, Scala, Go, C#, or similar
- You influence your peers, advise senior leaders, coach and mentor junior team members
- You love delighting end customers and hunger for novel challenges
- Experience designing and delivering high-availability Cloud Service Technologies (Google Cloud, AWS, or Azure) including Kubernetes or Docker
- Experience in REST architecture for web services and building secure, scalable APIs
- Mobile development on Android
- You are passionate about quality design, code, tools and architectures
- Interest in building a small team of developers.