Senior Software Engineering
We're seeking a talented and dedicated Senior Software Engineer to join our team in a highly collaborative, fast-paced, high energy environment. Our team manages the Customer Communications from Expedia. We manage the infrastructure for sending out the transactional and marketing Emails, SMS and Push notifications. We are looking for a dev who has a passion for clean code, a hunger to take on challenging and exciting projects as well as a persistent commitment to learn and teach others.
You are hands-on and spend your time coding, prototyping and deliver solutions to meet our business needs while diving into production incidents when needed. In addition, you will serve as a mentor for the engineering team and help review and guide design choices throughout the organization. You are agile and innovative and ready to do what it takes to keep engineering ahead. In this role, you will partner and collaborate with many other product & engineering teams spread across many locations around the world.
- Translate the desired business outcome to technical solutions that meet operational and business needs
- Design and architect solutions to build and extend our architecture in the cloud using Java, Scala, Kotlin and modern distributed systems
- Build robust, scalable and performing microservices based architectures
- Guide the overall design and architecture of our platform and its components including the APIs
- Know the latest industry trends and bring solutions to the organization, and the larger Expedia community when and where applicable. Identify new technologies and techniques that can improve the value proposition and efficiency of the overall platform
- Have knowledge of and ability to teach/mentor
- Service Oriented Design and Implementations
- Modern programming languages and concepts
- Continuous improvements in the areas of scale, resiliency, and redundancy
- Build effective engineering practices
- Participate in functional and technical design reviews and decisions inside the organization and across the broader Expedia organization
- Strong Java/JEE background with a deep understanding of Spring frameworks such as spring-security, spring-mvc and spring-data
- Experience working with Micro services, Spring Boot, Web services based on SOAP/REST and AWS.
- Experience working in AWS based environment and with commonly used AWS services.
- Experience with Spark framework and Scala is a plus
What you bring to this job:
- 10+ years of experience crafting and architecting JVM services in a distributed environment
- Experience with varied technologies such as Java, SOAP, REST, AWS, distributed systems, NoSQL data stores, and caches.
- Ability to define and communicate a longer-term technical vision for both engineers and senior leadership
- Ability to collaborate with architects across different teams/brands and recommend areas of re-use for our organization
- Experience in agile/scrum software delivery practices
- Strong working relationships with non-technical peers and a proven ability to understand the workings of the overall business
- History of technical depth and recognition within previous teams as a domain authority
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent demonstrable hands-on experience
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We passionately strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.