Senior UX Engineer
Working as part of globally distributed agile software engineering team, you will work independently and as a significant senior part of the team to complete necessary deliverables and contribute to the vision and value proposition of what is to be built.
- Develops software solutions via analysis of information needs; collaborating with users / representatives; studying information flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; following the software development lifecycle.
- Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
- Documents and demonstrates solutions by via effective documentation.
- Prepares and installs solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming.
- Improves operations by conducting systems analysis; recommending changes in policies and procedures.
- Updates job knowledge by enhancing development tools, programming techniques, via professional development opportunities professional publications; personal networks; professional organizations.
- Protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Provides information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing development and service issues.
- Accomplishes engineering and organization mission taking ownership and by completing related results as needed.
- Supports and develops software engineers by being an effective team member, team mentor providing advice, coaching and educational opportunities.
- Front-end or back-end only developers need not apply; we need both
- Personal or school project experience OK for a junior developer
- Experience building single page apps on any modern framework (Vue, Angular, React, etc.)
- Solid understanding of modern desktop web standards and CSS
- Applicant only ever used pre-made frameworks like Bootstrap - not enough
- Needs to understand what browsers can do today that they couldn’t do three years ago
- Bonus points for mentioning accessibility
- Mobile web or native app experience interesting but not relevant to our project
- Solid understanding of relational database principles, ability to read and write SQL
- Applicant only experienced with No-SQL or interacted with SQL DB using an ORM - not enough
- Should know how to join tables, what an index is good for, etc.
- Demonstrated experience and interest in creating great user experiences
- Can articulate clearly what makes a UX good or bad
- Values/enjoys prototyping, user-testing, training, documenting; generally engaging with people
- Candidate is permitted to lack emotion about all other things except this
- Experience with distributed source control tools and development workflow
- git experience ideal, but alternatives such as SVN, TFVC, Hg, Perforce are OK too
- Should have some experience doing code reviews with others on some tool like GitHub or Gitlab
- Basic understanding of unit testing strategies and tools
- Web application security fundamentals
- Web mapping tech, specifically OpenLayers, Mapbox GL, Turf.js
- PostgreSQL and PostGIS
- AWS or similar cloud infrastructure (GCP, Azure, etc.)
- Nightwatch or similar E2E testing tools
- Jenkins or similar
- Avalara REST API
- Speaks another language (useful for when we do localization)
- Previous experience working with transaction tax, customs brokerage, VAT or similar
- Exposure / experience with machine learning, NLP, data science technologies
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transactional taxes, including VAT, sales and use, excise, communications, and other tax types. We deliver comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions that are fast, accurate, and easy to use.
Avalara offers hundreds of pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications. Each year, the company processes billions of tax transactions for customers and users, files hundreds of thousands of tax compliance documents and tax returns, and manages millions of exemption certificates and other compliance related documents.