Site Reliability Engineer
VIZIO, Inc., headquartered in Irvine, California, is America's #1 Smart TV and Sound Bar Company. VIZIO's mission is to be the industry leader in Consumer Electronics by consistently delivering the latest technologies at the most affordable price. VIZIO's brand promise is to deliver innovative, premium-quality consumer electronics with an unwavering focus on the needs of our consumers. We are currently seeking a Site Reliability Engineer at our Seattle, WA offices.
The Seattle office is a fast paced, highly collaborative start up like environment that primarily focus on the SmartCast product line. You will own various components of the SmartCast platform customer experience. This position requires a passion to push the envelope and to innovate new solutions that are ahead of the industry.
As an SRE within VIZIO's Software Engineering team, you will play an important role in the reliability of our software services. You're an engineer that is not satisfied until we reach five 9's or higher. Your mind works in such a way that you think through all the scenarios in which our system would be vulnerable and then drive requirements for our software engineers to address those issues. When things do break, you've already devised ways to minimize the "blast radius" and minimize the disruption to end users. You also don't mind rolling up your sleeves and building the necessary tools, frameworks, prototypes, and tests to help our team solve these reliability issues.
- Work with engineering team to improve the entire service lifecycle of inception, design, implementation, testing, deployment, operation, and maintenance.
- Increase reliability by minimizing risks pertaining to durability, availability, performance, scalability, and correctness
- Help service owners maintain their services once they are live by ensuring all key services are measured, monitored and raising alerts when needed
- Become expertise in infrastructure and best practices to help development teams use infrastructure more effectively.
- Perform risk-assessment analyses of currently deployed systems and new feature designs, providing feedback to software engineers to improve the reliability of their services.
- Develop reliability tools and frameworks for use by all engineers
- Share on-call for most critical systems and lead incident response and no-blame postmortem analysis and review
- Perform capacity planning and ensure teams anticipate and prepare for growth.
- Practice and evangelize sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems.
- BA, BS, or MS in Computer Science, or minimum of 5-7 years of experience in a DevOps role.
- Experience working in a high traffic, high reliability environment
- Knowledge of web-based applications and testing tools
- Proficiency with both Windows and Linux environments.
- Working knowledge of complex web hosting configuration components, including firewalls, load balancers, CDNs, web and database servers.
- Strong experience in cloud environment, AWS preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and ability to work collaboratively with small teams
- Proven ability to drive issues and deliver quality results with a great deal of autonomy.
- Understanding of industry standards, best practices, and emerging technologies.
VIZIO, Inc. reserves the right to change or modify the employee's job description whether orally or in writing, at any time during the employment relationship. VIZIO, Inc. may require an employee to perform duties outside his/her normal description.