Software Dev Engineer II - UI Developer at Expedia Group
Are you a self-motivated ambitious engineer? Do you love to innovate? Do you believe in delivering a great customer experience?
We are looking for a highly qualified and passionate Software Development UI Engineer II to help build an exceptional shopping experience for the Expedia Local Expert customers. Your role as a member of the Local Expert Shopping Team will be to help design, develop and deliver the next-generation UI and APIs needed to provide a great user experience.
This will be an exciting opportunity if you enjoy working with a high level of autonomy and integrity while handling a variety of challenging job responsibilities. You will be analytical and passionately user-centered, detail-focused and creative, and will enjoy working both independently and collaboratively with the team. You will have a proven record in taking end-to-end ownership and successfully meeting deadlines to deliver results in a fast-paced, dynamic business environment.
- Architect reusable functional components for use across our global sites (i.e. form widgets, content modules, etc)
- Optimise everything for speed, speed, speed. Know the rendering engines in each browser and their weaknesses
- Utilise node, gulp to compile and transpile your code.
- Write semantic HTML components
- Drive new features from inception to production, working across the company with product managers, UX designers and other stakeholders
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
- Participate in our innersource culture (Internal Open Source) by delivering high quality code that levels up not only your team but the entire organization
- Contributing to documentation (instructional and technical specification)
- Contributing to development standards working closely with the Dev Manager.
- Discussing technical solutions with peers and providing innovative new ideas to solutions.
- Maintaining a high awareness of industry issues and trends, particularly in regard to accessibility, usability, and emerging technologies
- Help on board and train junior UI devs
- Showcase your work on our tech blog and internal & external conferences
- Experience creating mobile-first experiences
- Experience with ES6 or other JS libraries
- Up-to-date familiarity with emerging W3C standards (HTML5, CSS(4), etc)
- Extensive knowledge of cross-browser/multi-device support; mobile-first
- Experience using version control systems (Git, SVN, etc)
- Working knowledge of node, npm and gulp
- Solid understanding of Web Accessibility, experience building sites to at least an AA standard
- Minimum 5 years experience as UI developer.
- Experience working on progressive web applications.
- A passion for travel.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher
As a global leader in travel, Expedia helps millions of people every day go places and create lifelong memories. With Expedia Local Expert, our mission is to help our customers find and have memorable experiences on their trips. Expedia’s Local Expert product development team is a global team of over 50 inspiring and creative individuals spanning two sites who focus on enabling our mission end to end, from customer to supplier.
We don't hire just for the sake of it, we hire the best people, and trust them to do what’s right! With your knowledge and experience, you will work closely with product managers, user experience developers, creative designers and software engineers using multi variant testing, analytics, usability testing and good old common sense to help make key decisions with the development of the website.
If you answered yes to most, if not all the statements above and want to develop a web application with global reach using a multitude of technologies, then come in to our office for a chat!Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.