We believe travel enriches our lives and connects us to each other. Our Expedia Flights team is dedicated to building experiences that help travelers like you go places and makes our world more connected. A global team with representation in the United States, Mexico, Australia and India. Our Flights Shopping Platform is one of the largest in the world serving over 150 million queries a day and powering some of the strongest brands in the industry like Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Wotif, Hotwire and ebookers.
We are looking for a passionate Software Development Engineer II to join our Flights Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) teams. We are responsible for building the best flights shopping and booking experiences for our customers. We want you to bring your skills to our agile environment as we move from revolutionizing the web to redefining the mobile travel experience. From the back-end supply and database functions, to new user-interfaces for our more than 140 branded travel sites, there is no shortage of technical innovation as we push the frontiers of technology.
What's in it for you? Beyond travel perks and other competitive benefits, you can walk away from work each day knowing you truly made an impact. You can create a new feature that goes on the live site. You can build programs that streamline our backend search and supply processes. You can help localize content and systems globally. And you can do this all while working alongside smart, passionate techies who love travel to their core!
You are not only skilled on the technical front but also an excellent communicator with a strong bias for action! With a DevOps mindset as you will drive the life cycle of platform features from high level concept to design to operational delivery and beyond. You have a strong understanding of resiliency patterns, designing and building enterprise solutions at scale, operationalizing applications and cloud infrastructure with measurable KPIs, and delivering automated solutions to create a highly available ecosystem to power the Flights platform.
What You'll Do
- Dive deep into the platform architecture to work with the SRE teams to understand current engineering gaps and opportunities to evolve our technology stack
- Adopt cloud & serverless technologies and good design practices, while finding opportunities to simplify and scale
- Work closely with the product engineering teams to evaluate and design resilient, scalable, and highly available solutions
- Develop cloud-native solutions to continuously harden our platform and cloud infrastructures at scale
- Be responsible for the platform engineering features and evangelist the DevOps culture across the organization in a relentless pursuit to be operationally better every day
Who You Are
- 3+ years of backend software engineering experience
- An equally strong ability to learn new technologies and share your findings with others
- Skilled coder (familiarity with Java stack a plus) that have the experience to deliver highly resilient and scalable solutions with a relentless drive towards quality
- Experience with development in AWS or similar cloud platforms. Preferred: AWS Lambda, ECS, EC2, S3, EMR, DynamoDB, Aurora, Redshift, or similar
- Experience with software delivery platforms and application monitoring tools (Kubernetes, Spinnaker, New Relic, AppDynamics, or similar)
- Familiarity with high volume transactional systems, microservice design, or data processing pipelines (Docker, Kafka, Kinesis, Spark, or similar)
- Experience with continuous delivery, automated deployments, and related engineering practices
- Agile practitioner, able to deliver complex products iteratively
- Embrace change, always open to replacing what you built yesterday with something better today
- Ability to handle large, complex problems in a constantly evolving environment and rallying the teams to tackle it
Why Join Us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.