Software Development Engineer - Full Stack at Zipwhip
Zipwhip is a Seattle-based SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) company that is changing the way businesses and consumers communicate. We invented the capability to text to and from a landline, toll-free or VoIP telephone number and have led the entire industry since. Over 35,000 businesses use our product and we are the fourth fastest-growing company in Washington state. We are backed by Goldman Sachs, Microsoft Ventures, OpenView, Voyager Capital and a host of other investors, and are seeing great growth in customer base and revenue . Zipwhip is the only business-texting provider with direct connections to all Tier 1 and 2 wireless operators in the U.S., and we've delivered billions of texts to consumers nationwide.
We are searching for a seasoned senior developer to grow our existing team of senior engineers and to leverage their experience building highly scalable and resilient services to power our messaging platform. We are looking for engineers that take pride in delivering quality products and are enthusiastic about technology and strives for the opportunity to learn and share their knowledge.
- Will bring your unique set of diverse experiences and background to our team in an open and collaborative manner so that we can all expand and grow faster.
- Have a desire to leverage your expertise but also dive into lesser known areas of technology, architecture, or whatever is needed to solve engineering day-to-day challenges.
- Have an open and honest communication style that always puts the customer first “Will the customer be delighted with this?”.
- Are comfortable dealing with ambiguity and a shifting landscape.
- Are curious, willing to learn, share and improve.
- Have a strong sense of ownership and accountability for the product you are delivering.
What’s the job really?
- Responsible for designing, developing, testing, maintaining and shipping the flagship Zipwhip web application, a large scale, feature rich productivity tool.
- Solving problems related to streaming user content, real time notifications, and large data sets.
- Bring new features and functionality to reality with insight into UX best practices while still maintaining support for business customers on any of our supported browsers.
- Develop rock solid releases ensuring the Zipwhip SLA's are always at the forefront.
- Owning your code end-to-end from development to deployment and providing operational support through on-call rotations.
- Working collaboratively with product managers and stakeholders to own & manage a rapidly evolving product roadmap that delivers on company goals.
What to bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree in CS or related field or equivalent working experience.
- 3-4 years of frontend/client development experience.
- Demonstrated experience with enterprise grade frontend workflows and tools.
- Babel, Webpack, and NPM.
- Testing tools such as Jest, Chai, React-testing-library, and Watchman.
- Solid understanding and daily usage of the following technologies:
- React (including recent APIs such as context and hooks)
- Redux (including idiomatic usage of unidirectional dataflow and memoized selectors)
- Java/Spring BFF (Backend for Frontend shim to help organize and coordinate functionality across the system)
- Proven ability to deliver responsive layouts that are pixel perfect across all browsers and screens.
- Fluency in precompiled CSS (SASS) is necessary.
- Knowledge of accessibility best practices (keyboard support, screen readers, etc.).
- Bonus: familiarity with CSS-in-JS tools.
- Understanding and consuming RESTful services.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Commitment for engineering practices that ensure safe and fast paced releases of services.
- Bonus: Working in agile teams or startup environment with a strong customer focus.
Demonstrated organizational agility, cross-team collaboration, commitment for results, and excellent written and verbal communications.
- We value diversity and strive to create an environment where everyone can feel safe, valued, empowered, and connected.
- A fun, lively startup culture and one of Seattle's coolest offices, with waterfront view.
- We don’t just talk the talk. Our award-winning culture stems from having a core set of values that are lived daily from the top down.
- Ample opportunities for professional growth, internal advancement and movement, and company-supported learning.
- Competitive compensation and stock options.
- Full benefits package including parental leave, a matching 401k program, PTO, and medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- Subsidized access to a fitness center + other onsite wellness offerings.
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage.
- Complimentary snacks, complimentary beverages and free lunch on Fridays catered by local chefs.
Zipwhip strives for an equitable, inclusive and welcoming culture that values and honors diverse experiences and perspectives, that fosters the constructive expression of ideas, and that promotes intellectual curiosity, creativity, and respect. Equity and inclusivity can only flourish and reach full potential with continued effort and accountability, nourished by a collective sense of responsibility and mission on the part of the entire company. We are committed to the continued development of our diverse of people, ideas, and approaches, which will strengthen our mission to make texting with businesses as natural as it is with family and friends.
We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
We are an E-verify participating employer.