Software Development Engineer I (DevOps)
Our team is looking for a SW Dev Engineer I to focus on Site Reliability Engineering to improve developer productivity and efficiency while using the Expedia developer ecosystem. The role blends support and SRE to both respond to and resolve emergent issues impacting developer productivity while also designing, developing and deploying long-term improvements to increase reliability, resiliency and scalability of our core infrastructure while maintaining security and policy compliance.
You will be working to improve on the tools, products and platforms used by thousands of engineers worldwide daily with the rigor to make things 1% better each day and an emphasis on quality and reliability. This role will be focused on the core infrastructure and tools blazing the path forward for Expedia Group.
Our culture of diversity, curiosity, problem solving, openness and transparency is key to our success. Diversity of experience and perspectives improve the quality of our products. We encourage teamwork, thinking about the bigger picture and taking appropriate risks in a no shame/no blame environment.
We’re building a new team based on a proven successful model, the team is geographically distributed across the globe (4 team members in 3 different locations) and we’ll utilize a follow the sun model to ensure continuity of work and diversity of perspectives into evaluating improvements. We may be distributed globally, but we work and act as one team – always.
This team will be laying the initial groundwork, establishing the culture and building the processes and automation to enable expanding and scaling the scope rapidly. We expect to move quickly, make mistakes, learn from those mistakes and improve. The team succeeds together and struggles together as one.
As an SW Dev Engineer I, you will support the existing developer ecosystem by providing immediate support for developer blocking issues as well as longer-term solutions and automation to mitigate future re-occurrences of similar issues. There will be a mix of support and design efforts for this role. As the platform matures and improves; maintaining reliability, stability and scalability is essential. You will also be assisting in mentoring the Associate Software Developers on the team as they learn and develop.
You will use data and analytics to identify improvement opportunities with the largest impact on developer productivity/efficiency. You will identify, define and scope opportunities for developing alerting and monitoring to anticipate and mitigate issues within the platform and tools supported. You will select the technologies to utilize and design solutions. Your success will require having passion for helping others, enhancing developer efficiency and investing in your teammates' capabilities and knowledge.
Ensuring availability enables our rapid "Test and Learn" approach to increase Expedia's leadership position in the online travel market. Our focus will be on improving the developer ecosystem usage experience and using data to make informed decisions about improvements. We treat operations like a software challenge to tackle and automate. We apply fixes and solutions that scale effectively and develop self-healing capabilities. Do you like solving meaningful problems using data, logic and code? Are you passionate about finding the root cause of an issue and solving it? Are you excited to invest in others and help them improve? If so, this role may be an excellent fit for you.
What you will do:
- You will collaborate with peers to drive, define, develop and implement software that improves stability, resiliency, scalability and availability of our developer ecosystem
- You will provide guidance and mentoring to Assoc. Software Developer teammates
- You will directly support developers encountering pain-points using the ecosystem
- You will cultivate an atmosphere of enhancing the developer experience. Solicit feedback and make targeted improvements based on that feedback
- You will triage/prioritize incoming developer questions, answering and addressing directly where possible and routing to the teams responsible where not. Be helpful.
- You will proactively identify developer challenges with a focus on stability, defects and documentation gaps and identify/define viable improvements using analytics
- You will participate in emergent developer ecosystem problems and provide viable solutions to mitigate/recover, prioritizing recovery then prevention
- You will perform/participate in postmortems and COEs on developer ecosystem related failures to identify and commit to improvements that will prevent future re-occurrences
- You will design and implement effective monitoring and alerting to ensure the health and performance of the developer ecosystem
Who you are:
- Experience in object-oriented design practices, Java proficiency a plus
- Experience developing software via agile processes
- Experience utilizing automation frameworks
- Critical thinking, challenge assumptions and be an advocate for the scientific method
- Solid understanding of the software development process, including unit testing and release management.
- Strong foundation in diagnosing and solving complex problems and ability to use analysis tools (such as Splunk) to assist in diagnosis
- Experience supporting the infrastructure and deployment of web applications a plus
- Experience working with AWS products (e.g. EC2, ECS, Kinesis) a plus
- 1+ years building complex software systems or an equivalent degree in an engineering discipline
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.