Software Development Engineer I
Are you passionate about big data and the technology needed to drive security and fraud prevention? Do you love building creative, high-scale data products using a diverse set of state of the art technologies? Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit, know how to deliver, deeply technical and analytical, highly innovative and look for opportunity to shape a new business and build solutions to challenging problems that directly impact the company's bottom-line? If this is you, we want to talk to you!
Who you are:
Expedia's Enterprise Risk & Security, Big Data team is searching for a top-notch Software Development Engineer who has ability to thrive in dynamic, collaborative and fast paced environment. You will deliver on key initiatives, starting from the idea phase all the way through requirements definition, analysis, technical specifications, development and product delivery. This is a highly visible role that requires an understanding of our large, complex technical environment and has the ability to create simple, elegant technical software/application solutions.
- Coding proficiency in at least one modern programming language (Java, Scala, Python etc.).
- Strong background in data structures and algorithms.
- Solid experience with Big Data technologies (Hadoop, HDFS, Map-Reduce, Hive, Spark, Kafka etc.).
- Exposure to automated testing, including unit, functional, and integration testing.
- Self-starter that enjoys and takes pride in the development work of their team.
- Strong interpersonal skills as well as strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- 0-3 years of industry experience with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in CS or equivalent.
What you’ll do:
- Contribute to architecture definition and development of complex software engineering projects.
- Advocate for quality coding and best practices.
- Collaborate with business and technical teams to solve complex problems.
- Present technical issues and their impact to management.
- Ability to describe technical requirements and implementation details based on an understanding of business requirements.
- Identify and drive internal process improvements; automating manual process, optimizing infrastructure for higher scalability
- Have a strong eye for the operational aspects of the platform such as deployment, performance tuning and monitoring.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.