Software Development Engineer I at Expedia Group
What is the first thing you do when planning your next trip? Think about where you want to go, right? So come work for our team that helps travelers like you go places and makes our world more connected! Expedia Flights team is the traffic powerhouse for the Expedia group and our Flights Shopping Platform is one of the largest in the world serving over 150 million queries a day and powering some of the strongest brands in the industry like Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Wotif, Hotwire, and Ebookers. Our technology operations are global, with representation in the US, Mexico, Australia, and India.
What makes Flights technology unique?
- Expedia is one of the few companies in the world that own a proprietary flight search engine (called Best Fare Search) which is used by millions of users daily.
- And we are moving flights platform to AWS.
- We handle several 100 thousand booking transactions every day and connect with all major GDS partners you can think of.
- We collect TeraBytes of Flights Data and actively look to use Machine Learning to show the right content to our customers.
Our teams have the flexibility to make the technology choices that best add value to our beloved travelers and partners. As a member of our team, you will be involved in these choices. We are in the middle of evolving our platform and are actively decomposing our services into micro-systems to make things easier to maintain and continually deploy. As part of this evolution, you and the team will be cloud-native or be moving enthusiastically to AWS. We organize for feature velocity, so wherever appropriate, our teams will leverage AWS services like Lambda, Kinesis, ElastiCache, Aurora, DynamoDB and of course EC2, ECS and S3. To further help speed things up, you’ll look to build on top of open source systems and libraries like Redis, GRPC, Akka, Cassandra, and MongoDB.Job Responsibilities:
This position focuses not only on implementing software solutions for state of the art e-commerce processing systems but also on being a role model to your fellow engineers. You will get to expand your skills in building highly scalable solutions while influencing others and raising the bar on the overall level of excellence within the team. You will also get the opportunity to serve as a domain guru in multi-functional feature delivery. Whether you choose to move ahead in your career to a Senior Developer or become a manager, this is the role for you to learn how to move to the next stage.Required:
- You have impeccable coding skills
- First class communication skills in written and verbal form
- Strong Object Oriented Programming concepts, data structure, algorithms, and system level programming (including multi-threaded programming)
- You are a critical thinker, who speaks out and defends views.
- Understanding of Software Development Lifecycle and methodologies
- Be a voracious learner, especially in the areas of technology, service design patterns, and system architecture.
- Knowledge and working experience with Agile Software Development mechanics
- Prior background in high volume e-Commerce solutions or other transaction processing systems
- Working knowledge of Global Distribution System (GDS) solutions
- Background in Service Oriented Architecture implementation, service versioning, and backward compatibility
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computing related discipline
- 2+ years Software Development work experience (Java experience strongly preferred)
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.