Software Development Engineer II-Android at Discovery Digital Media
Discovery, Inc is the leader in global real-life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, Genius Kitchen, TLC, Food Network, HGTV, and Travel Channel. Our Digital Studios team develops experiences on web, mobile, and voice that reach millions of users each day - inspiring them with ideas and tools to create their own unique world.
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer contribute to our award-winning Android app: Food Network In the Kitchen. Within your role, you’ll be working with a team of engineers, product managers, and designers to build new capabilities in the app on the Android and Amazon ecosystems. You’ll be a leader and a mentor of a team that is driving the future of the app experience, helping make In the Kitchen an indispensable app used by millions of customers every day.
This will be a hands-on role where you’ll be successful by: providing input on architectural direction on the Android (Kotlin) platform; participating in all aspects of the agile software development process; providing coaching to team members; and collaborating with other Discovery teams on shared objectives. As a contributor on the team, you’ll be expected to write code, drive code reviews, and own tasks and projects to their completion.
1. Deliver high-quality, high-performance, scalable code for the Android In the Kitchen App.
2. Ensure high quality code is delivered. This includes monitoring app crashes, memory usage, and product quality; and leads issue resolution.
3. Automate the quality assurance phase of the development cycle through automation testing.
4. Assist in execution of the engineering hiring plan for the team, including screening, and interviewing.
5. Coach and mentor other software engineers
6. Day-to-day support of project initiatives including: participation in sprint planning, team retrospectives, code reviews, and user interviews.
7. Help set team goals and technical direction while ensuring that they align with the goals of the larger organization.
8. Master and evangelize our agile product development process, incorporating consumer insights into product decision-making process.
9. Assesses mobile landscape for emerging mobile trends with vendors such as Apple, Google, and Amazon.
10. Help implement effective engineering processes and policies that emphasize quality and forward progress.
11. Communicate status, roadblocks and requirements to team management in order to proactively solve problems and drive solutions.
12. Represent Discovery engineering and management in industry events.
* Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field from an accredited college or university, or commensurate experience
* Experience: 6+ years in an engineering contributor role.
* You have experience shipping Android applications and you are up to date on the current state of the Android development ecosystem (examples: Android Studio, Maven, Bitrise)
* Knowledge of working with FireTV, Fire Tablets and Amazon VSK
* Knowledge of cloud infrastructure and platforms (e.g., Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, Heroku)
* Knowledge of large scale application architecture, design, implementation and performance tuning.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States