Software Development Engineer II-Android at Discovery Digital Media
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand.
We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring a software engineer to join our team and assist in leading the development and operations of our award-winning iOS app: Food Network Kitchen. As a key contributor on the team, you’ll be expected to write code and drive code reviews while owning tasks and projects to their completion. In this hands-on role you’ll be successful by:
- Providing input on architectural direction on the Android, FireTablet, and FireTV Platforms
- Participating in all aspects of the agile software development process
- Providing coaching and mentoring to fellow team members
- Collaborating with other Discovery teams on shared objectives.
1. You have a passion for building world-class, high quality applications with a drive for automating your development processes. You speak BDD/TDD fluently and are just as excited to help others get to your level.
2. You build great productions for your immediate teams, but also advocate and help others group-wide, via cross-company technology and engineering initiatives.
3. You plan well and execute better making decisions that are data driven. You constantly validate the decision made and provide feedback to yourself and the team to adapt and pivot quickly as needed.
4. You are goal oriented, both for yourself and your team.
5. You are fascinated with the mobile landscape and are on the lookout for merging mobile trends with vendors such as Google and Amazon.
6. You deliver high-quality, high-performance, scalable code in the Android ecosystem for Mobile and Connected TV applications while striving to help others deliver at the same level.
7. You assist in making great hiring decisions. You understand what it takes to build a great team and foster that mentality as you help grow your teams.
8. You are comfortable communicating status, roadblocks and requirements to team management in order to proactively solve problems and drive solutions.
9. You are a great partner with product and design teams to ensure that we are creating products that our fans love.
10. You are excited to represent Discovery engineering and management at Industry events.
* Education: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field from an accredited college or university or commensurate experience
* 4+ Years in an engineering contributor role
* Experience working on public-facing, large scale mobile applications and are up to date on the current state of Android development ecosystem, including performance tuning and memory management.
* Experience with Kotlin and other modern Android frameworks.
* Experience with Android Studio, Gradle, Maven, Bitrise, etc
* Knowledge working in the Amazon ecosystem (FireTablet, FireTV) is a plus
* Knowledge of Connected TV best practices and patterns is a plus
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to [email protected]
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue