Software Development Engineer II (full stack)
ExpediaWhat we do
The burgeoning field of machine learning is poised to fundamentally change the software industry. We have the theory, the data, and the compute resources needed and now the challenge is to take ML out of the lab and into the real world so that it can help address actual user needs in real-time and at scale.
This is where our team comes in. The Lodging Sort team builds an ecosystem of services related to machine learning – services for scoring, simulation, analytics, diagnostics, business intent monitoring, historical trending, and predictive model conversion, validation, testing, tuning, and lifecycle management. This ecosystem of interconnected micro services splits up into three categories: model serving, data scientist-facing, and supplier-facing services.
Our cloud-hosted platform currently hosts a steadily growing set of clients spread across almost all the Expedia Inc. brands, multiple lines of business, and multiple problem domains. For each client, we work closely with the client dev team as well as their data science team, helping them use machine learning in production scenarios.
The primary goal of our Lodging platform is to allow data scientists to quickly and easily create new predictive models and deploy them into a production environment with no required service changes in a scalable, low-latency system.
The core use case of our platform is ordering hotel search results in the most optimal way possible for each request. 70% of hotel bookings happen from the first page of search results, and ~70% of Expedia’s revenue comes from hotel bookings, so getting that sort order right is hugely important. According to estimates, the sort team is responsible for a ~7% lift in overall lodging revenues.
What we use
The team uses a wide variety of technologies, frameworks, and tools every day, as we are a full stack team. We mainly code in Java, but there are some components written in Node.js, React.js, Scala, C#, SQL/HQL, and Python. We’ve invested heavily in AWS – our plan is to retire the vast majority of our data center-hosted pieces by the end of this year.
Do you use any of the following technologies? We do! Docker, ECS, AWS Lambda, Amazon Elastic Map Reduce, Elasticache (Redis), AWS Data Pipeline, Dynamo DB, Mongo DB, Amazon SNS, Amazon S3, PMML, Openscoring, TensorFlow, Netflix Hystrix, Netflix Archaius, MS SQL, Qubole, Amazon Athena, Splunk, Graphite, Grafana, Hive, Hue, AWS Cloudwatch, Presto, Chef, Spring Boot, JQuery, Thymeleaf, Highcharts, Google Protobuf, DataTables, and Hadoop.
How we Operate
Our team is based in Bellevue and uses a Kanban-like approach, with devs pulling work off a prioritized backlog on an ongoing basis, with checkpoints and demos every two weeks. We believe strongly in engagement, shared ownership, and empowerment. Team members put out code that they are proud of, identifying and filling any gaps as needed. We empower everyone on the team to make the decisions that they need to in order to get work done efficiently, with minimal management overhead.
Team members have areas of focus, but we stay away from siloing – every team member has the freedom and ability to work on anything the team owns.
We're looking for full-stack devs who believe in continuous improvement (for themselves and for the systems they own), are not afraid to take on big challenges or ambiguity, and have an ambition to get things done.
- You will write awesome software - scalable, performant, maintainable, resilient...stuff you'd be proud to put your name on!
- You get to how ownership - find and fill gaps, and do what it takes to get the job done
- You will make the team better by being part of it - work collaboratively with counterparts in product management, program management, and engineering and build a culture where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts
- You will raise quality via good coding/testing practices and a committed desire for improvement
- You will contribute to the design process for various features
- You will support what you build using a DevOps mentality
You should have:
- Strong background in data structures and algorithms
- Excellent ability in Java, C#, or similar object-oriented language
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- And understanding of relational databases including SQL and NoSQL
- Experience with automated testing, including unit, functional, and performance testing
- Experience with Agile methodologies
- Knowledge of distributed architecture and patterns
- Java with knowledge of CPU and memory usage, debug real time multi-threading application and perform JVM tuning, deep understanding of Service Oriented Architectures, Domain Driven Design concept
- Strong database design and optimization skills would be a big bonus
- Experience with cloud development (AWS)
- Previous experience working experience in Agile development process
- Experience working with geographically distributed team.
- Strong business/product acumen, able to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Customer focus
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.