Software Development Engineer II (Hotwire - Seattle)
Join us and you’ll be helping build a market leading customer facing web application, solving hard problems at scale and contributing to mission-critical software with a direct impact on the bottom line. All of this and you'll get to experience the dynamic and diverse agile working environment we are so proud to provide.
Key technologies we use:
What you’ll do:
- Deliver high quality software using agile principles and methodologies
- Lead design activities and help set the technical direction of our product
- Provide technical leadership, coaching and mentoring to more junior team members
- Advance our team’s design, development, test and release processes through your use and advocacy of engineering best practices
- Cultivate a strong focus on performance, scalability, maintainability and operational excellence
- Drive improvements to our deployment, automation, performance and platform monitoring capabilities
- Identify and articulate technical and operational requirements for new feature developments and platform investments
- Collaborate in multi-functional discussions to plan projects and define platform and product goals
- Participate in the resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
What you should bring:
- You have extensive Java software development experience
- You have a deep understanding of modern web architectures, agile software development practices and first-class engineering skills
- You know what it takes to deliver products in a CI/CD environment
- You have some exposure to automation frameworks like Cucumber/Scala/selenium experience a plus
- You write clean, coherent, well-documented code that sets a standard for others
- You communicate complex ideas and information with ease
- Strong computer science fundamentals and ideally a BS/MS degree or higher
- You have some exposure working up and down the web stack from building UI to optimizing the backend and developing API’s
How you can really tick our boxes:
- You are already an experienced Engineer who sets standards, drives designs and coaches others
- You have developed products using Java (Kotlin/GraphQL a plus)
- You have developed Java based microservices and deployed them to AWS
- You have delivered large scale platform refactors in an Iterative manner
- You have notable DevOps experience
- You have E-commerce or technical Travel Industry experience
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.