Software Development Engineer II
At Expedia our mission is to revolutionize travel through the power of technology. Our E-Commerce Checkout team is looking for an experienced, energetic and self-motivated Software Development Engineer to help us do just that.
Sitting at the sharp end of the conversion funnel our Checkout platform processes millions of bookings a week from customers across the globe using any one of our 40+ localized websites or our award-winning mobile app. It’s an exciting time to join the team as we’re setting about building the next generation of our platform using modern frameworks such as React and GraphQL and a microservices based architecture.
Join us and you’ll be helping build a market leading customer facing web application, solving hard problems at scale and contributing to mission-critical software with a direct impact on the bottom line. All of this and you'll get to experience the dynamic, diverse and collaborative agile working environment we are so proud to provide.
As a Full Stack Software Engineer working on Expedia’s critical production checkout applications, your mission will be to ensure Expedia Checkout is always fast, available, scalable and engineered to withstand unparalleled demand. You will be in the thick of solving the [often unexpected] problems of systems at scale in a way most engineers never experience. You will have strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, fluency in coding and systems design, solid communication skills and a desire to tackle the complex problems of scale. You are a collaborative and creative individual and you thrive in a dynamic and agile environment. You adapt to new technologies, and enjoy working on complex problems. Every day, we at Expedia get to innovate on web applications that millions of travellers use to plan, book and experience trips they will remember forever.
- Architect, design, and create solutions on the web tier, server-side using Java
- Write optimal front-end code using JS, CSS and HTML
- Write unit tests and automated integration tests
- Perform Code Reviews and ensure the team adheres to best practices
- Mentor junior software developers
- Investigate, debug and resolve live site issues.
Skills and Responsibilities:
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or related field.
- 3-5 years of professional experience in full stack Java software development
- Experience with React and Scala is a bonus
- Solid experience with agile project methodologies and of working with distributed teams
- Committed to producing high quality code with a strong attention to detail
- Excellent understanding of server side design patterns and practical application.
- Able to work closely with and incorporate feedback from specialists and product owner
- Strong customer focus, excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Be a Clean Code practitioner
- A self-starter, who is driven and takes initiative.
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.