Software Development Engineer II at Expedia Group
At Expedia Group, we believe in being thinker-doers - we are Makers. Every day we seek autonomy, mastery and purpose in our work. Our \"why\" is to help millions of travelers find that ideal destination, phenomenal place to stay and a cool activity to make their trip a life experience. At the heart of this is Expedia’s Lodging Shopping team dedicated to solving problems for travelers on this journey.
Our team is building a cutting-edge lodging shopping platform to allow customers to explore hotels, vacation rentals, resorts, and more in order to find their ultimate travel destination! We focus on the customer facing search and detail pages but also work across the shopping path with various other teams. We are building a dynamic user experience while also keeping performance at the forefront – constantly enhancing the system which prices and sorts thousands of properties per second. Our entire infrastructure handles millions of requests per minute which requires scalability, reliability and high performance to ensure the best customer experience. Our platform serves customers on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices on Expedia sites and through a variety of partners.
What you'll do:
- Operate as a leader, influencer, and contributor across our team. We are spread across the world with over 100 engineers, designers and product managers with diverse backgrounds working in unison to make a cohesive experience.
- Work closely with engineering, user experience, analytics and product teams to understand customer problems, research and collaborate on technical solutions, and thrive in a time-boxed creative endeavor to deliver a solution.
- Design and ship great user experiences on various platforms and libraries including Progressive Web Applications, Application Programming Interfaces (APIs), Cloud Networks, ReactJS, GraphQL, and other cutting-edge technologies.
Who you are:
- You have 3+ years of industry experience, during which you’ve built scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant solutions.
- Considered an experienced full-stack, front-end, or back-end developer. We are a full-stack team that encourages engineers to hone their craft in their chosen area of expertise or expand their knowledge by taking up new challenges.
- As a back-end or full-stack engineer you thrive in the details of API design while utilizing Java or Kotlin to create scalable and reliable services. A background in GraphQL or building high efficiency services would be an additional asset for this position.
- You have knowledge of cloud computing platforms such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) and have worked in a CI/CD environment.
- You’ve shown good judgment about getting features to customers while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, adaptive and responsible way. You welcome the opportunity to learn and improve.
- You are willing to iteratively work at solving a problem, because you deeply care about customers, and you are open to a continuous feedback loop. We ship. We learn. We improve. We change.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a desire to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, VRBO®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.