As a global leader in travel, Expedia helps millions of people every day go places and build lifelong memories. With Activities line of business, our mission is to help our customers find and have memorable experiences on their trips. Expedia’s Activities product development team is a global team of over 50 inspiring and creative individuals spanning two sites who focus on enabling our mission end to end, from customer to supplier. It offers expertise and assistance in booking activities, tours, attractions, ground transportation, and other in-destination services to our customers in over two thousand destinations around the world. We take pride in solving customer and supplier centric problems by truly using the platform and build capabilities at scale.
Are you someone who is humble, passionate about travel, technology, and solving complex customer and supplier centric problems? Are you an engineer looking to showcase your ability to build highly scalable, performant, and resilient systems with the latest technologies available? Are you the go-to person on your team? Are you someone who believes in teamwork as opposed to working in silos? If so, the activities team might be the right team for you. We are looking for a humble and enthusiastic developer who will push the boundaries on engineering forward-thinking solutions and contribute to shaping our new future. We expect you to have the energy and passion to deliver using a whole range of technologies and have a solid understanding of engineering principles.
What's in it for you? Beyond travel perks and other competitive benefits, you can walk away from work every single day knowing you truly made an impact. You can build a new feature that goes on the live site. You can build programs that streamline our backend search and supply processes. You can help localize content and systems globally. And you can do this all while working alongside smart, passionate engineers who love travel to their core.
What You will do:
- Lead, influence, and contribute across our entire technology stack while acting as an area specialist for your team as well as mentoring and coaching other engineers.
- Partner with Product & UX to understand our technical products and accountable for the delivery and support of production systems and features with the highest quality.
- Develop, design, debug, and modify components of software applications and tools.
- Prototype solutions by developing minimum viable products through effective collaboration.
- Communicate and work efficiently with geographically distributed multi-functional teams.
- Participate in code reviews to uphold overall code quality standards.
- Unblock teams by driving issues to resolution.
- Define, develop, and maintain technical artifacts including the technical design or partner documentations.
- Practice continuous improvement in software and development process within an agile development team.
- Produce production quality code and have a strong eye for the operational aspects of the platform such as performance tuning, monitoring, and fault-tolerance.
- Chip into advancing the team’s design methodology and quality programming practices.
- Help design and build reusable frameworks and libraries to simplify development.
Who you are:
- 4+ years of proven experience, during which you’ve built remarkably scalable, robust, fault-tolerant distributed systems and web services.
- Good communication and ability to explain technical details and challenges to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to work in a diverse organization with global, decentralized teams working across multiple locations.
- Exceptional coding skills in Java / Scala / Kotlin and proficiency with SQL.
- Production focus: previous history of being hands-on in solving critical production issues that affect our valued customers and drive those insights back into the product in true DevOps style.
- Expertise with continuous integration/delivery and demonstrating a DevOps mentality.
- Experience and knowledge around Cloud technologies like AWS is a huge plus.
- A great teammate who thrives in a fast-paced and collaborative working environment imbibing a growth mentality.
Why Join US
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work and to provide them with tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing, or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE, and Traveldoo®.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.