Software Development Engineer II at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
Discovery, Inc. is a global leader in real life entertainment, serving a passionate audience of super-fans around the world with content that inspires, informs and entertains. Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year and has category leadership across deeply loved content genres around the world.
Available in 230 countries and territories and 50 languages, Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year and has category leadership across deeply loved content genres around the world, reaching over 3 Billion viewers on all screens including TV, Digital and Mobile.
Discovery is a platform innovator evolving to become a direct-to-consumer leader to reaching viewers across all screens through TV Everywhere products such as the GO portfolio of apps and Discovery Kids Play; direct-to-consumer streaming services such as Eurosport Player and Motor Trend OnDemand; and digital-first and social content from Spoon University and Genius Kitchenas well as Group Nine Media, which is home to brands including The Dodo, NowThis, Thrillist and Seeker. Discovery’s portfolio of premium brands includes Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Travel Channel, Turbo/Velocity, Animal Planet, and Science Channel, as well as OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network in the U.S., Discovery Kids in Latin America, and Eurosport, the leading provider of locally relevant, premium sports and Home of the Olympic Games across Europe.
Discovery also has a strong portfolio of free-to-air channels across Europe making it a leading broadcaster in a number of countries, including Norway, Sweden, Italy, Poland, Germany and the UK. As a purpose-driven company, we are dedicated to not only entertaining but inspiring.
For 30 years we have told stories that entertain, inspire and enlighten our viewers around the world, about the world. But our work doesn’t stop there. We are committed to making the world a better place by leveraging our market-leading global platform, and by extending the reach and influence of like-minded organizations and causes. We also are dedicated to employee volunteerism across the globe.
Discovery's Digital group is a well-funded start-up within Discovery, Inc. We are fast, nimble, and have fun developing new, innovative, and immersive digital products and content for iconic brands. We are working at the crossroads of technology, entertainment, and every day utility. As content creators across the digital ecosystem, we continuously leverage our technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences. We tell engaging stories to millions of viewers across the Internet every day and bring new interactive experiences to life to not only entertain but improve the lives of our customers. Most recently, our group is behind the launch of discovery+, Discovery’s global streaming service, serving as the definitive destination for real life entertainment with the largest ever content offering at launch, debuted in the U.S. on January 4, 2021.
We are looking for top Engineering talent, whose deep technical expertise and problem-solving skills are matched only by their passion for design and user experience. Our team is responsible for building the experimentation and analytics platform for Discovery’s global digital platform.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
We are hiring Software Development Engineers to join our team in India.
The successful candidates will have a track record of building multiple, high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your approach and work will be exemplary, and you will have a proven background in driving best practices and setting standards for your team.
You are a key influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgment making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative leader who encourages fellow Engineers and other team members to be more productive, by sharing your knowledge and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other Engineers.
- You are hands-on and capable of playing a leading role to design and develop major functional changes to existing software systems, or new ones, involving yourself and other engineers.
- You provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track-record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on. You can propose and create best practices proactively where none exist.
- You make high impact decisions driving how and what software gets built. Your decisions are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team.
- You mentor junior engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality, and integration into a team. Your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on engineers around you.
- Minimum of 5+ years of Mobile apps development experience
- Experience with software engineering best practices (e.g., unit testing, design patterns, building maintainable code, performance tuning)
- Deep understanding of the nuances of the Android SDK, different versions of Android.
- Experience building modular apps with principles such as TDD, dependency injection & automated testing.
- Experience in modern DevOps/SRE practices such as CI/CD, performance monitoring.
- Strong computer science fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.