Software Development Engineer III (Front-End) at Subsplash
Based in Seattle, Subsplash is an exciting award-winning team of 150+ mission-driven people who are committed to our core values of humility, innovation, and excellence. Founded in 2005, we’ve pioneered the market with the first ever church mobile app. Since then, we’ve been working together to build The Ultimate Engagement Platform™ for churches, Christian ministries, non-profits, and businesses around the world. We find excitement in serving our 12,000+ clients, creating impactful products, and delighting the 40 million real people who use our platform every day. Subsplash has won awards for best mobile experience, been voted top 100 Washington's Best Workplaces by the Puget Sound Business Journal, created some of the most downloaded apps of all time, and built enterprise software for world-class brands like XBOX, Microsoft, Samsung, Expedia, and Cisco; yet, at the end of the day, we love making a lasting impact and a difference in our world.
Working at Subsplash is more than just a job; we are a team of people who are courageous, inventive, and passionate about doing meaningful work every day. Don’t take our word for it—head to Glassdoor and see for yourself!
About the Team
The Engineering Team is responsible for building and running all the products that Subsplash offers. We are a super-star team of software engineering, QA, and site reliability professionals creating polished experiences for our clients and end-users. The Engineering Team is responsible for the entire user experience including: Mobile Apps (end-user facing), Subsplash Giving, the Subsplash Dashboard CMS (client-facing), Web App, TV App, backend data feeds, analytics, SnapPages (website builder) and more. We serve thousands of clients, millions of end-users, and billions of individual app impressions.
About the Role
As a Software Development Engineer III (Front-End), you will report to the Software Development Manager (Front-End). In this role, you will be involved in building out new products and features, as well as maintaining existing code bases by completing bug fixes and feature requests. You will be working closely with both designers and engineers and helping to bridge the gap between the two. You will contribute to the creative process by building elegant solutions to complex problems. You will work well with other members of the team, in a fast-paced environment, to implement working software early and often. If youʼre interested in creating high-quality software that delights millions of people around the world—and if you can challenge and inspire others to do the same—we invite you to apply!
Top 3 Key Outcomes in Year 1
- Develop a deep understanding of our front-end architecture and products
- Make significant contributions to help direct the growth of our internal UI component library
- Own all of the front-end aspects of a project and see it through to production
- Implement new features and fix bugs by writing scalable and maintainable code
- Maintain and build upon our internal component library
- Maintain great communication between our front-end engineers and designers to help bridge the gap between back-end implementation and visual excellence
- Collaborate regularly with a small cross functional team of designers, engineers, and product managers to grow the capabilities of the Subsplash Platform
- Mentor more junior engineers
- At least 7 years of full time experiences as a Software Development Engineer in a team environment
- Experience with common tools and libraries such as SASS/SCSS/LESS, Babel, etc.
- Familiar with good software development principles such as: BEM, graceful degradation, DRY, SOLID, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of web and mobile UX/UI
- Experience building highly interactive and responsive web apps
- Exposure to server-side web technologies such as Unix/Linux, Go/PHP/Node.js, MySQL, MongoDB, MVC Frameworks (Rails, Li3, etc.), Apache/Nginx.
- Embraces the Agile process (knowledge of Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, LEAN, and SOLID is a plus)
- Comfortable with advanced features of Git or another version control system
- Able to navigate ambiguous requirements while prioritizing multiple projects, tasks, and bug fixes
- Ability to mentor others, communicate complex technical requirements with clarity, and influence others' technical design decisions
- Ability to exercise superior judgement in technical decision making, including but not limited to "build vs buy" decisions and related architectural discussions
- Looks for ways to innovative in daily work while balancing the drive to deliver features quickly and maintain code quality
- Dependable, flexible, humble, teachable, disciplined, and proactive: get a lot done with limited direction
Generous Paid Time Off, Medical Coverage, Dental Coverage, Vision Coverage, 401k, Free Smoothies and Snacks, Optional Work-from-home Thursday’s, and a Public Transportation Subsidy.
This position is classified as Full-time/Exempt and therefore not eligible for overtime pay. Core office hours are 8:30am to 5:30pm Mon-Fri.
Note: Employment with Subsplash is contingent upon satisfactory proof of employee’s right to work in the U.S., as required by law and upon completion of a basic background check and;
Employment with Subsplash is considered “at will,” meaning that either the company or the employee may terminate the employment relationship at any time without cause or notice.