Software Development Manager at Expedia Group
Are you passionate about Big data and the insights it provides? Do you love building creative, high-scale distributed systems using a diverse set of state of the art technologies? If you have an ambitious spirit, are deeply technical and analytical, and long for the opportunity to build solutions to problems that directly impact the company's bottom-line, we want to talk to you! We are searching for a Software Development Manager who will drive key deliveries from conception all the way through requirements definition, analysis, technical specifications, development and delivery. This is a highly visible role that requires both business insight for working with senior management and technical depth for removing development road blocks.
Expedia Enterprise Risk & Security (ERS) group is focused on a single mission to protect Expedia Group from financial loss and brand damage. We work on key risk problems associated with merchant and supplier fraud, account takeover, and more. Joining our group provides the unique challenge and opportunity to use the latest technology to protect our business, our customers and our business partners empowering millions of travelers to enjoy their perfect trip. In this role, you will be a leader, influencer, and contributor across our entire technology team. You will set the technical direction for your team, provide career guidance to the people you lead and collaborate with various business partners.What you'll do
- Lead/manage a team of engineers building Risk Data platform that empowers ERS to detect risky activity on Expedia's Group websites
- Guide the team in adoption of cloud & serverless technologies, advise on the best design practices, and find opportunities to simplify and scale up to millions of transactions
- Review and provide guidance on the team's work, continuously striving to look for opportunities for process improvement
- Anticipate internal and external changes which may influence data architecture designs and facilitates development of action plans for addressing
- Work on initiatives that transcend team and org boundaries.
- Evangelize data platform, standards, and patterns.
- Be responsible for your team's deliveries, roadmap and operations, set standards and lead by example
- 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer and 2+ in a technical lead/management role
- Through understanding of OO concepts, data structures, and algorithms.
- Solid experience with Big Data technologies (Redshift, Spark, Hadoop, Map-Reduce, Hive, Kafka etc.)
- Experience building and managing applications with AWS technologies – S3, EC2, EMR etc.
- Maturity, judgment, negotiation/influence skills, analytical skills, and leadership skills are important
- High energy and a positive outlook.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, or related discipline
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
*LI-CW1Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.