Software Development Manager at Barn2Door
Barn2Door is a Seattle-based food+tech startup that helps local farms sell direct to buyers through all digital channels, including web, social and mobile. We exist to empower Farmers who care about our planet.
We are looking for people passionate about the intersection of food, agriculture, and technology. At Barn2Door, you’ll get to learn what it takes to build a startup business and participate in ongoing training and education, while also playing a critical role in our growth.
As Software Development Manager (SDM), you’ll be responsible for building and managing a team of software engineers, managing the product road map, holding high standards of work product while meeting deadlines as we scale. You will be expected to provide critical thinking, a high degree of technical innovation, and attention to detail while serving as a trusted advisor and leader to our team. You will need to balance many complex and competing technical priorities and be able to actively guide a team in architecting, designing, developing, and testing solutions.
We are seeking an SDM that is passionate about creating and supporting next generation products and services, has great development skills, a passion for quality and performance, and is excited to build solutions with stellar customer experiences.
As an SDM, you will report to the VP, Engineering and be in a key leadership role at Barn2Door. You’ll be responsible for consulting regularly with Executives to advance improvements in the Engineering process. We’re looking for an entrepreneurial individual who thrives on challenges, understands urgency, and is looking for an opportunity to own a large set of features and systems. As an SDM, you will be expected to embody our core values and carry yourself above and beyond reproach - leading by example.
- Lead an engineering team in building, iterating, and maintaining a complex codebase
- Quickly grow and scale your engineering team
- Oversee the high-level technical architecture of the product
- Work closely with Product Management and Leadership to execute on an evolving roadmap.
- Serve as a mentor to engineers in their career development
- Remove bottlenecks to allow the Engineering team to move quickly and maintain a high level of quality
- Comfortable mentoring and collaborating with other engineers
- A Recruiter! In this role, you will be continually hiring to build out a talented team of quality engineers pioneering SaaS in an underserved vertical
- Comfortable in a dynamic (i.e., startup) work environment
- Comfortable in ambiguous situations
- A good communicator with the ability to express and share ideas to business leaders with a non-technical background
- Passionate about agriculture, the food industry, and / or e-commerce technology
- BS Computer Science, or comparable degree
- 3+ years in leading technical designs and implementation of highly scalable and adaptable systems in a Software-as-a-Service or web-services company
- 3+ years in mentoring developers and helping drive engineering maturity
- Experience leading teams in maintaining, managing and updating large codebases and optimizing overall architecture and redundancy of our systems
- A real passion for solving complex software engineering puzzles in a dynamic environment
- Deep understanding of software design principles, algorithms, data structures, and asynchronous concepts
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Sound problem resolution, judgment, negotiating and decision making skills
- Annual salary DOE + stock options
- 10 days PTO, 5 days Sick Leave and 11 Paid Holidays
- 100% premium coverage for Medical, Dental, Visian and AD&D (Employee-only)
- Real experience in a high profile startup company just hitting its growth curve
- To work closely with all team members including executives
- Ongoing training and professional development
- Opportunity to be a rock star - great exposure and upside
- To grow your skill set and experience with end-to-end engineering influence and responsibilities
- Startup office environment in Fremont overlooking Lake Union
We’re looking for driven, intelligent people who regularly go the extra mile. You should thrive on the urgency of a startup atmosphere and be results driven (always seeking to exceed expectations). You must be well-disciplined, self-motivated and hungry to achieve. If you’ve got drive, grit, creativity, and a passion for local food, startups and disrupting the food industry - then Barn2Door may be right for you.