Software Engineer - APIs at Discovery Digital Media
Discovery, Inc is the leader in global real-life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, Genius Kitchen, TLC, Food Network, HGTV, and Travel Channel. Our Digital Studios team develops experiences on the web, mobile, and voice that reaches millions of users each day - inspiring them with ideas and tools to create their own unique world.
As part of our team, you will build microservices that power the next generation of Food Network web, mobile, and voice platforms used by millions of users each day. We're building new direct-to-consumer experiences that will need many new exciting services. We’re building our services primarily using cutting edge AWS serverless technologies such as Lambda, API Gateway, Kinesis, and DynamoDB (amongst many others). Our services are a combination of event-driven, REST, and GraphQL.
1. Develop modern, scalable services that interact with other services as well as with our web, mobile, and voice applications.
2. Deliver high quality, high performance, well tested, scalable code.
3. Manage the entire lifecycle of services from design to development to operating in production.
4. Participate in the on-call rotation (rare after hours support).
5. Day-to-day support of project initiatives including: participation in sprint planning, team retrospectives, and code reviews.
6. Master of developing and operating backend services fully leveraging AWS technologies, including serverless offerings.
7. Work with your teammates and engineers on other teams on deciding and implementing development best practices.
8. Weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a fast-paced environment with constant change.
9. Communicate status, roadblocks and requirements to team management in order to proactively solve problems and drive solutions.
* Knowledge of cloud infrastructure and platforms (e.g., Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud)
* Experience using at least one NoSQL database such as DynamoDB, Redis, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, MongoDB, etc
* A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.