Software Engineer (Apply by Technical Test) at Convoy
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:07 a.m. (PST) on Wednesday, April 7, 2021
Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
This application option includes a technical test instead of a resume review. We encourage you to apply and show us your skills, regardless of whether your resume precisely matches the job description. When you apply we'll still collect your resume, but we will primarily be using the results of the technical test to evaluate your initial application. After applying, use this link to complete the test as soon as possible so we can review your application with the result!
Make sure to use the same email address for both your application and for the technical test. Most candidates complete the 40-question test in about 30 minutes, but you have up to 80 minutes if needed. If you prefer to apply by submitting only your resume instead of a technical skills test, you can do so at this link!
Convoy is establishing a team of talented, thoughtful engineers to automate the logistics industry. Our goal is to develop amazing software to make trucking efficient while growing ourselves and our coworkers sustainably. You should pride yourself on developing products at light speed, while simultaneously being intentional in your approach towards the process, communication, and building systems.
- Build delightful and innovative features that make it easier for our customers to run their businesses. Our customers include small trucking companies all the way to large, well known brands who need to ship their products.
- Invent best-in-industry tools while working side-by-side with our operations and business teams.
- Write scalable software that helps us efficiently handle the large amount of shipment volume on our platform. For example, we process millions of dollars of payments.
- Use machine learning to improve our margins or brokerage efficiency. Some of the problems we solve include automating our operations processes, forecasting prices, matching shipments, and personalizing the product experience for our individual customers.
We're looking for someone who has:
- 6 to 8 years of industry experience building production software
- BS degree or higher in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience
- Strong experience in mentoring both junior and senior engineers in multiple dimensions
- Proven track record of technical leadership and driving technical strategy across engineering teams and organizations
- Strong sense of ownership and can drive complex projects end-to-end
- Growth mindset and is able to rapidly learn new technologies and concepts to meet the needs of our customers
- General knowledge of both frontend and backend technologies with a good understanding of multi-service architectures
- Ability to help cultivate flexible, diverse, and empathetic engineering teams
Nice to haves:
- High-quality web or mobile frontend experience. Ideally in React/Redux and React Native technologies.
- Our stack is written mostly in Node.js, TypeScript, GraphQL, PostgreSQL, and AWS. We’re open to engineers from all backgrounds, but having knowledge in these areas is helpful.
- Experience and familiarity with building and operating large scale services.
- Experience and familiarity with Machine Learning. For example, pricing and ranking/optimization problem solving.
Employees' wellbeing is top of mind for the Convoy team. Outside of offering excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, we also offer the following:
* On demand mental and emotional health benefits through Lyra
* On demand primary care through 98.6
* Generous paid time off
* Paid parental leave program
* Fertility benefit solutions via Progyny
* Child-care and adult/elder-care options through Bright Horizons
* Opportunity to join and contribute to one of our Employee Resource Groups
* Ability to make a real world impact!
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!