Software Engineer, Developer Tooling at Qualtrics
At Qualtrics, our mission is to close experience gaps—the costly differences between what customers and employees expect, and what they’re receiving.
9,000+ organizations worldwide and more than 80% of the Fortune 100 rely on the Qualtrics Experience Management Platform™ to collect, analyze, and act on feedback—more feedback than they ever thought possible. With Qualtrics XM, organizations can manage the four core experiences of business—customer, employee, product, and brand experience. Organizations can be at every meaningful touchpoint, for every experience, and predict what will resonate most with customers and employees.About the Team
The Developer Tooling team is a foundation stone of the Qualtrics engineering organization. Our mission is to build and operate the services that enable the Qualtrics continuous delivery pipeline and microservices architecture. We help Qualtrics Software developers innovate faster and more frequently. We do this by building and operating simple, elegant developer services. We relentlessly automate people out of the software delivery process so they can focus on innovation and delighting our customers.
At Qualtrics we are owners. We innovate. The things you deliver will have real impact, and quickly! Operating in a small autonomous team, your work will flow from development to production in ever reducing lead times, delivering real improvements for our developers and increasing the company’s rate of innovation.Primary Responsibilities
As an engineer working in Developer Tooling you will be part of a team that is responsible for the research, development and operation of our developer services. You will own the framework that empowers our product developers to innovate - a framework that spans from development environment utilities like source code control and build services, right through to container deployment, orchestration and service discovery and consumption in production.
Moreover you will be joining at a time of rapid growth and investment in our technology stack. This is a systems development role. You will deliver next generation technology frameworks that empower a continued move to a microservices architecture.
Beyond our engineering and architecture responsibilities, Qualtrics strives for excellence in the operation and delivery of our services. You will …
- Ensure our platform exceeds goals for availability, capacity, efficiency, scalability, and performance.
- Actively monitor end-to-end system performance to identify bottlenecks, potential failures and deliver service capacity planning and demand forecasting.
- Communicate effectively w/ engineers & stakeholders. Describe problems succinctly to enable issue management.
- Perform periodic on-call duty as part of a global team.
- BA/BS degree in computer science or related field
- 3+ years experience of being responsible for a customer-facing, highly-available, large scale web-based service.
- 3+ years of excellence in operating this service.
- Deep understanding of web application architecture, including TCP/IP and HTTP
- Experience and knowledge of load balancing, caching, CDNs, and clustering technologies.
- Experience with common monitoring tools such as Nagios, AppDynamics, Graphite and statsd
- Development experience in a high level language like Java, PHP, Ruby or Python. Ideally you are a systems engineer with developer experience or a developer with strong systems engineering knowledge. No IDE-only developers.
- Experience with software development lifecycle technologies (ex. Rundeck, Git, Jenkins, artifactory services, etc)
- Knowledge of SQL (MySQL) tuning and optimization is a must have. Experience with memcached, Redis and Elasticsearch is a bonus.
- Worked with or implemented configuration management using tools like Puppet or Chef
- Embraces change! Excited about learning new technologies
- A mentality of 'Automate everything!'
- A great teammate, fast learner, with a focus on getting stuff done