Who we are:
Rover.com connects pet parents with the nation’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalized care for their dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, and doggy day care. Founded in 2011 on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
We're headquartered in downtown Seattle. We're an agile, fast-growing startup, and our leadership comes from some of the country's most respected tech companies. Our Senior Leadership team has been recognized by Forbes, Seattle Business, and Geekwire. We've been named among Seattle's "Best Places to Work" in Seattle Met magazine, Seattle Business Magazine, and the Puget Sound Business Journal in 2016 and 2017. We're also the recipient of World’s Most Dog-Friendly Offices in 2016 by Inc.com. Needless to say (but we're going to say it anyway)—we love dogs, and we wouldn't dream of going to work without them by our sides.
We are looking for a strong IC who is part Software Engineer, part Analyst and part Accountant - YES! Accountant! The right individual will be embedded in the Finance organization, focusing on Rover’s Revenue and Tax engines. They will report to the Head of FP&A and will get to work closely with the Head of Accounting & Tax, ensuring that Rover’s critical financial subsystems are functional, accessible and secure. A general understanding of accounting rules is required in order to have the foresight to avoid implementation pitfalls and instead create amazing solutions.
The role has the following directives:
Be part of the Accounting, Tax and Finance groups - Perform technical due diligence when evaluating system or vendor changes. Help the full group with data, tooling, documentation, and research for internal and external auditing.
Ensure financial transaction completeness, accuracy, and auditability - The right candidate will own the accounting subsystems handling many of the company's financial events and monetary flows. You will own the financial reconciliation systems and processes to ensure data accuracy.
Ensure the right level of information is surfaced and accurate - A lot of good engineering can go to waste if the business is not able to access and understand the result. You will be part analyst in the role, making sure information is accessible, accurate and timely.
Ensure data integrity and controls - Partner with the engineering team to extract the finance app from Rover’s core app, enabling lock down controls (SOX).
We're looking for an engineer / analyst hybrid who:
- Enjoy working closely with financial transactions, the lifeblood of the marketplace.
- Believe that every penny counts, accuracy is essential, and debits must always equal credits.
- Understand that mistakes in the accounting systems have serious impacts on decision making, audit outcomes, and company values.
- Work comfortably as a super-IC. Partnering, prioritizing and communicating against agreed upon objectives.
- Care about the design and usability of internal software interfaces used by other engineering teams.
- 6+ years as a professional software developer
- General understanding of accounting principles
- An analytical mindset - curious to understand the outcome and what it means - not just the delivery of it
- Comfort working in different parts of the stack
- Experience with relational databases and schema design
- Rigor in automated testing, code quality, and engineering best practices
- Proficiency with SQL, Python and Django
- Bonus: Experience with financial, accounting or payments systems (e.g., Stripe, Paypal, Braintree and/or Netsuite)
- Bonus: Experience scaling architecture
- Bonus: Experience working with large and complex datasets
- We are a highly energetic Finance team, who works hard, meets deadlines and truly enjoys each others company
- We like to move fast, but intentionally balance pace and precision based on each individual project
- We are a mix of business & operation minded individuals, accounting professionals, tax professionals and system architects (owning our EPM and ERP environments)
Why We'll Hire You If:
- You're qualified for the position and your values align with Rover's Core Values
- You get along well with others and thrive in a collaborative, team-oriented environment
- You're eager to learn and improve your craft as a software engineer/analyst
- You're able to take loose requirements, work with others to figure out what needs to be done, and drive a project forward.
- You can be your own QA team
- You have the intuition for when to call it "good enough" to ship and when to put in the extra time to polish
Benefits of Working at Rover.com:
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- 4 weeks paid time off
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting your first dog
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs)
- Free catered lunches semi-monthly
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more
- 50 free dog walks a year
Candidates must be eligible to work in the US.
Rover is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse, inclusive and inventive environment with the best employees. We’re driven by seeing our people succeed and grow, and we work to ensure everyone contributes to their fullest potential. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.