Who we are:
Rover.com connects pet parents with the world’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalized care for their dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, and doggy day care. Founded in 2011 on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
Our global headquarters are in Seattle, Washington in the United States, working closely with our teams in Spokane, Berlin, London, and Barcelona. We have a track record of being recognized as a great place to work, having been named among Seattle's 'Best Places to Work' in Seattle Business Magazine and the Puget Sound Business Journal for three years running. We're an agile, fast-growing company, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies. Our pioneering approach to people and pups alike landed us on the list of GeekWire’s Next Tech Titan in 2019 and the World's Most Innovative Companies in 2018 by Fast Company. Needless to say (but we're going to say it anyway)—we love dogs, and we wouldn't dream of going to work without them by our sides.
Team directives for payment systems include:
1. Ensure customers can pay - We own the integrations with our credit card processor vendors, ensure proper records are kept, and ensure PCI compliance. We steward the checkout process and consult on user facing changes to that flow. We support the top payment methods available in every country where we operate.
2. Ensure providers get paid - We own the integrations with our pay out vendors ensuring prompt, accurate payments. We comply with money transmission regulations in every country where we operate.
Additional team directives:
1. Ensure financial transaction completeness, accuracy, and auditability - We own the accounting subsystems handling many of the company's financial events and monetary flows. We own the financial reconciliation systems and processes to ensure data accuracy.
2. Provide the accounting platform for internal technical groups - Other technical groups use our platform for payins and payouts and we provide interfaces and standards for them.
3. Consult with the Accounting and Finance groups - We perform technical due diligence when evaluating system or vendor changes. We assist the Accounting group with data, tooling, and research for internal and external auditing.
4. Provide third-tier support for customer service - When our customer service agents need help investigating or understanding a financial transaction, we provide support for them during business hours with a 24-hour SLA.
We're looking for engineers who:
- Enjoy working closely with financial transactions, the lifeblood of the marketplace.
- Believe that every penny counts, accuracy is essential, and debits must always equal credits.
- Understand that mistakes in the accounting systems have serious impacts on decision making, audit outcomes, and company value.
- Work comfortably in the backend developing software which mostly interacts with other systems.
- Willingly work on the frontend by developing internal tooling UIs and occasionally address customer facing UI concerns.
- Care about the design and usability of internal software interfaces used by other engineering teams.
- 2+ years as a professional software developer
- Comfort working in different parts of the stack
- Experience with relational databases and schema design
- Interest in innovations within the global payments industry
- Rigor in automated testing, code quality, and engineering best practices
- Bonus: Experience with financial, accounting or payments systems
- Bonus: Experience scaling architecture
- Bonus: Experience working with large and complex datasets
- Bonus: Proficiency with Python and Django
- Bonus: Experience working with PayPal, Braintree, and/or NetSuite
Why We'll Hire You:
- You're qualified for the position and your values align with Rover's Core Values.
- You get along well with others and thrive in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- You're eager to learn and improve your craft as a software engineer.
- You're able to take loose requirements, work with others to figure out what needs to be done, and drive a project forward.
- You can be your own QA team.
- You have the intuition for when to call it "good enough" to ship and when to put in the extra time to polish.
Benefits of Working at Rover.com:
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- 4 weeks paid time off
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting your first dog
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs)
- Free catered lunches semi-monthly
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more
- 50 free dog walks a year (Seattle only - for now!)
Rover is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse, inclusive and inventive environment with the best employees. We’re driven by seeing our people succeed and grow, and we work to ensure everyone contributes to their fullest potential. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.