Paying the right way, getting paid what you’re worth — it’s complicated, and it matters. Compensation used to be a dark art. Not anymore. PayScale helps employers and their employees understand the right pay for every position and effectively communicate about compensation.
PayScale pioneered the use of crowd-sourced compensation data and unique matching algorithms to power the world’s most advanced compensation platform and continues to be the compensation market leader.
We foster a working environment that generates new ideas, promotes ownership and experimentation and encourages highly motivated individuals to be truly creative. Are you forward-thinking, tenacious, and inventive? If so, PayScale may be the perfect place for you to grow your career!Job Description
What We Do: Our charter: "We take the data from the customers, and put it in the products." We build centralized data ingestion tools for all PayScale products to use. This takes many forms: from automated connections to other human resource information systems, SFTP file drops, or user uploads.
What You Do: You will be the 6th member of a highly collaborative team distributed in three locations nationwide that have been working remotely together for well over a year. You will maintain strong engineering practices by writing unit and integration tests. You will collaborate with product owners and engineering managers to develop the feature set, schedule, and roadmap.
Day-in-the-Life: As a Software Engineer II, a typical day may include the following…
- A daily Agile/Scrum standup to check-in with the team.
- A weekly pair coding session with one or more teammates to help spread knowledge, work through a solution, or debug issues.
- Working with internal users who use our ingestion products to help automate their processes and identify product improvements.
- Researching and learning about cutting edge tools like Kubernetes to build fast, reliable data ingestion for our customers.
- Do you like asking questions, solving problems and thinking critically? You'll like it here.
First Year in Role:
- Month 3: You will have built a new feature for our customer upload tool.
- Month 6: You will know the various ways data can enter the product and gets tracked by our data operations teams and will have improved this flow.
- Month 12: You will help craft solutions for our various ingestion processes and see ways to use common solutions across products.
- 4+ years of experience developing and designing software
- Familiarity/experience with unit testing and crafting testable code
- Able to explain technical concepts to developers, project managers, and the customer service team
- Previous experience with Python, C#, or other OOP languages
- Working knowledge of relational and no-SQL databases
- Nice-to-haves but none are vital: experience with Kubernetes, performance tuning for scale with large data sets and/or SQLAlchemy with Postgres.
- The main services we work on are written with Python and Pandas for the backend and React for the frontend. Some of the services we maintain are also written in C#.
- We use TeamCity and Octopus for our CI/CD build and deploy pipeline to Azure. We track all our work in Jira and store all our git repositories in Bitbucket.
- Our newest systems are all containerized and orchestrated via Kubernetes.
Meet Your Manager: Before PayScale, I was a high school math and computer science teacher for 11 years so my goal as a manager is to make sure that you are always learning, challenged, and to build an environment where you can bring your best self to work. I have been at PayScale for almost 5 years and am excited to be helping build a product that ensures everyone gets paid what they are worth and what they deserve.Additional Information
Benefits & Perks – The Highlights:
- Flexible Paid Time Off policy
- 10 paid holidays
- Amazing Medical/Vision/Dental/Prescription coverage: 100% company-paid premiums for employees; 50% for eligible partners and dependents
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options for pre-tax employee allocations towards: Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, and Transit
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, and Company-paid Life Insurance
- Strong Maternity and Paternity Leave benefits, and multiple onsite Mother’s Rooms
- 401k which vests immediately, complete with company match
Equal Opportunity Employer: PayScale provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. PayScale complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.