Software Engineer III
Discovery Digital Media
Discovery Digital Media is a well-funded start-up within Discovery Inc, a high-performing global team working at the dynamic intersection of Technology and Entertainment. As content creators in the digital space, we continuously leverage our technological capabilities to create immersive viewing experiences for iconic brands including Eurosport, GOLFTV, MotorTrend and DPlay.
Eurosport produces authentic, premium and innovative content, on linear and digital platforms. It combines expertise, passion and resources to develop high-value programmes and offer unrivalled coverage to viewers in 99 countries, in 21 languages. Having secured the exclusive European broadcast rights for the Olympics until 2024, there's no better time to join Eurosport on this incredible adventure.
Are you interested in shaping the future of Television, Sport and Olympics? Do you want to define the next generation of Discovery’s D2C platform? We need your passion, innovative ideas, and creativity to help build a world-class Live and VOD streaming platform to super-serve our super-fans.
The team is chartered to design the video infrastructure and integration with broadcast systems to power all of Discovery D2C propositions from Discovery GO, Eurosport Player to GolfTV viewed by a massive audience daily across the globe. You will help bring customers streaming video viewing experience to a new level and will develop the service to run on an all cloud environment. Discovery was the first broadcaster to move all of its playout in the cloud and have opportunities to interact with teams inside and outside the organization (e.g. Tokyo 2020 Olympics). It was also the first to work on a variety of video devices such as the Smart TVs, Roku, iPhones, Android TV, Fire TV, game consoles and set-top-boxes.
1. Delivering high quality code on time as part of a cross-functional team.
2. Contributing to team discussions around system component design, improvement and integration.
3. Designing and developing high performance, test-driven code.
4. Working with and maintaining a large existing code base as well as new components; maintaining production code and contributing to deployment and QA processes.
You will need to have an established background in developing customer-facing experiences, a strong technical ability, great communication skills, a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment, a high level of creativity, great analytical reasoning skills, and, of course, a passion for TV and Sport.
This job will require travelling between our offices in London, Paris, New York and Bellevue.
* Deep experience with service-oriented architecture, highly distributed systems, high transaction volume and high availability are required. Experience with enterprise platforms and externally-facing APIs is highly recommended
* Degree in Computer Science or related field
* Extensive experience of product development experience in consumer-focused companies
* Extensive experience of technical experience as software developer, or related role
* Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
* Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
* Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
* Expert knowledge of AWS and/or Azure and/or GCP
* Master in one of the following, Java, C#, C++, C, Rust and Go
* Ability to work on a diverse and geographically dispersed team
* Expert knowledge of video streaming, codecs, video delivery and broadcast workflows
* Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
* Experience with mission critical, 24x7 systems
* Experience with high throughput, multi-threaded systems
* Experience implementing and consuming large-scale web services
* Experience with media delivery over the internet and good understanding of the network technologies
* Experience with implementing big data based solutions and machine learning systems
* Proven track record of designing and delivering large-scale, highly available, low latency, high quality systems and software products
* Experience leading development life cycle process and best practices.
* Experience with Agile (SCRUM, RUP, XP), OO modeling, SOA, UNIX, middleware, and database systems
* Broadcast experience
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States