Software Engineering Manager, Axon Now
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
We are building a new product that will help police officers at the most critical moment – when they’re responding to a call for service. How do we get cops the right information, at the right time, and in the right format, so that they can arrive at the scene prepared and ready to act? How can we equip them to coordinate with each other and their partners (fire, medical, other neighboring agencies)? The right solution will utilize intelligent mapping and routing, real-time communications, applications of artificial intelligence, and a heavy focus on making industry-leading experiences usable for both officers doing 60 MPH in a 35 zone and dispatchers handling hundreds of calls a day.
If you are interested in solving critical, concrete, real-world problems, this is the challenge for you. If you love to get close to your users to understand not just their workflows and their tasks but their mindsets and their culture, this is the place for you. If you are interested in creating a mission critical product used to save lives, this is the product for you.
Your Day to Day
- As an engineering leader on the team, you will oversee both backend and frontend engineers, and manage the full development lifecycle - analysis, design, development, testing and deployment
- You will work closely with technical leads to help ensure quality while advocating for the right solutions for our customers
- You will collaborate with the Director of Software Engineering on strategic and tactical planning, driving a strong engineering culture that is customer-obsessed
- You will partner with the Recruiting team to hire strong engineers
- You will work closely with Product Management and Design to align on delivering a differentiating product that will disrupt our industry
- 6+ years professional software development experience
- 2+ years of experience leading an engineering team
- Experience designing and delivering high-availability, scalable cloud-based systems
- Deep backend service experience in multiple, managed languages such as Java, Scala, Go, C#, or similar
- Experience working with multiple SQL or NoSQL datastores
- You follow the latest in software engineering and open source technologies, and can intuit the fine line between promising new practice and overhyped fad
- Proven ability for coaching and mentoring
- You love delighting end users and hunger for novel challenges
- You distilled your people and team management practices into a set of models and principles that you regularly verbalize, apply, and improve
- You thrived in multi-functional organizations by building consensus and partnering with product management, UX design, security, and recruiting
- You have calibrated coding, system design and behavioral job interview questions that you used to hire top talent and quickly grow your team
- You maintained high performance standards by collecting objective metrics and peer feedback for performance evaluation and management
- You mentored junior and senior engineers, helping them understand themselves, influence others, and advance towards their career goals
- You established trust with senior leaders by aligning your priorities with theirs, providing timely, accurate, and succinct status updates, and helping other teams when needed
- You have kept your engineering skills sharp so you can review your team's code, evaluate design options, and provide high-level cost estimates
- You follow the latest in open source technologies and can intuit the fine line between a promising new practice and an overhyped fad
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Robust parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with real police officers in real life situations, see them use technology, get inspired
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description