At Outreach, Business Systems’ mission is to enable and enhance corporate processes at scale. Data and thoughtful integration are at the core of Business Systems' ability to provide a seamless user experience across Financial Systems, Support Systems, and Operational Analytics/Data Science. As our customer base continues to grow, we are looking towards new ways of building out our systems to provide frictionless user experiences across our business systems domain. We have an opportunity for a data-oriented Software Engineering Manager to lead the Business Systems’ Data Engineering team to help us scale our architecture and enable our users.
This is a critical role on our team, where we see the flow of information across our business systems as key to enabling our stakeholders. In this role you will own our business systems data architecture and the flow of information between our core systems and our data warehouse, working to optimize for both systems and human consumers of data. Most importantly, you will consider new ways to enable users across finance, support, analytics, and other areas of the company where their workflows or tooling would benefit from interaction with a business system. You’ll look for better ways to do things, building software and data pipelines to bridge gaps between our systems and provide for a better user experience.
Some technologies we use today include:
However, the right person for this role will take a fundamental approach to building or adapting the right tools for the job. To that extent, we build on AWS, and the team owns its own stack and technology choices. You and the team will be well-enabled to design and build best-in-class solutions.
Your Daily Adventures Will Include
- Manage, coach, and mentor a team of two data engineers, growing the function over time - we’re one of Outreach’s newest organizations, and continuing to grow!
- Build a team culture of growth impact and trust
- Own the project backlog for your team, working closely with internal stakeholders to identify projects and set priorities
- Define and track key performance metrics for your team
- Collaborate closely with recruiting to define job requirements, interview candidates, and build the team
- 3+ years of management experience with software engineering teams
- Experience with complex architecture in a fast-paced environment
- Previous experience mentoring and growing an engineering team
- Demonstrated success owning and delivering on problem statements from start to finish
- You embody our core values. We are hungry craftspeople, we have grit, we are honest, we take ownership, we have each other’s back no matter what, we’re one with our customers, and we find strength in diversity and inclusion
Even Better If You:
- Have experience enabling corporate functions by building great tooling and delivering accurate, timely data
- Love developing a data engineering organization
- Are interested in both the data delivery and tool building aspects of software engineering
- Enjoy working directly with finance, accounting, support operations, analytics, data science, and product teams - it’s a wide variety of folks, but great business systems are something you see as end-to-end solutions!
Why You’ll Love It Here
• Generous medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees and their dependents
• Flexible time off
• 401k to help you save for the future
• Company-organized and personal paid volunteer days to support the community that supports us
• Fun company and team outings (or virtual events these days!) because we play just as hard as we work
• Diversity and inclusion programs that promote employee resource groups like OWN (Outreach Women's Network), AAPI, Rainbow (LGBTQIA+), Gender+, LatinX, Black Excellence, Disability Community, and Veterans
• A parental leave program that includes not just extended time off but options for a paid night nurse, food delivery, gradual return to work, and the Gottman Institute's Bringing Home Baby course for new parents
• Employee referral bonuses to encourage the addition of great new people to the team
• Plus, unlimited snacks and beverages in our kitchen (once we're back in the office, that is!)
• We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status