Software Engineering Manager/Lead
HELP MAKE HISTORY in one of the fastest growing industries in the world. Leafly is the most trusted brand in cannabis with the largest audience: millions of people around the world start their cannabis journey with Leafly, and it’s because we are not your typical cannabis company. Compliance and innovation are equal parts of Leafly’s DNA. We are shaping the global cannabis industry for the better, accessible to everyone, from the cannabis curious to the everyday consumer, building the world’s destination for everyone to discover, find and buy cannabis.
If you are interested in a rapidly growing, nascent space that requires forward-thinking and continuous innovation to lead, look no further. A career at Leafly combines the excitement and innovation of a start-up with the growth opportunities of a major corporation. Leafly salaries and benefit packages are competitive, and we promise that you will never be bored: we focus relentlessly on solving challenges for our customers and having fun doing it in our collaborative work environment. If you have the skills and desire, you will be joining a global team of innovative, passionate individuals on a revolutionary mission to change the world for the better.
Our Teams and Our Tech
Our teams are cross-functional with product owners, designers, and engineers working side-by-side toward shared goals. We aim for each team to have the right mix of full stack, web, and api developers, so that together they are equipped to solve whatever problems come their way. We look to each person to bring their expertise and passion to the table, as well as the ability to roll up their sleeves and help where it’s needed.
What We Are Looking For In This Role
As a Software Engineering Manager at Leafly, you will work alongside and manage the developers on your team. You’ll partner closely with product owners and designers to scope projects. You’ll help your team deliver on time through daily mentorship, technical guidance, business guidance, and by removing roadblocks. And you’ll support the personal career growth and development of the engineers on your team.
We are currently looking for managers that are excited about technology, projects, and people. Do you like to stay connected to the code, making time to contribute regularly and jumping on PRs, so you can help ensure your team is producing high quality code and high quality products? Do you like the challenge of keeping a project moving forward, facilitating scope and tradeoff discussions as new information is uncovered? Do you like working with your team to continuously improve your process and how you work? Are you passionate about supporting people and making sure they are set up for success and growth? Then Leafly is looking for you! Here are some of your day-to-day responsibilities:
- Partnership with Product and Design leads on your team
- Provide input on level of effort and risks to inform project scope and priority
- Advocate for both product excellence and technical excellence
- Facilitate regular tradeoff discussions between engineers and team leads
- Engineering operations within your team
- Lead a team of 6-8 engineers
- Drive task breakout, estimation, prioritization, and assignment
- Work hands on with your team on technical solutions, PRs, etc to ensure the team produces high quality code and products
- Enable developer productivity by unblocking and clearing the way
- Drive technical and process improvements within team + inform improvements across teams and the org at large
- Engage regularly with Technical Platform Leads and other Engineering Managers
- Own code delivery for your team
- Employee growth and development
- Mentoring and coaching in regular 1:1s
- Goal setting toward skills development and career growth
- Performance reviews
- 3+ years experience managing software engineers
- 5+ years experience shipping and supporting high-scale, high-performance web applications in a cloud environment
- Experience with more than one server-side technology
- Experience with latest web technologies, tools, and practices
- Experience leading an agile team of engineers
- Expertise in HTTP, web application architecture, scalability, performance optimization, reliability, deployment, monitoring, security
The job description is representative of typical duties and responsibilities for the position and is not all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned in accordance with business needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. A background check will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment is extended.
Read Full Job Description