Sr. Manager, Software Development at Expedia Group
Do you have experience leading teams that craft internet-scale software systems? Do you have the startup itch and the passion to build a new business from scratch? Do you get excited about working in a small, nimble team laser focused on delivering customer (and commercial) value?
If you have an ambitious spirit, are deeply technical and analytical, and long for the opportunity to build solutions to problems that directly impact the company's bottom-line, we want to talk to you! We are searching for a rock star Sr. Manager of Software Development who will drive the launch of commercial products from conception all the way through requirements definition, analysis, technical specifications, development and delivery. This is a highly visible role that requires both business insight for working with senior management and technical depth for removing development road blocks.
As a core member of our commercialization team, you will provide leadership and coaching for a group of engineers passionate about building the software solutions that will be used by customers across the travel ecosystem. You will be a hands-on manager and set the technical direction for your team, provide career guidance to the people you lead and collaborate with various business partners.Responsibilities
- Lead/manage a team of engineers building distributed scalable solutions (SaaS/API) for commercial consumption
- Working with the product manager and other stake holders to develop business requirements
- Guide the team in adoption of cloud & serverless technologies, advise on the best design practices, and find opportunities to simplify and scale up to millions of transactions
- Review and provide guidance on the team's work, continuously striving to look for opportunities for process improvement
- Mentor the people on your team and learn about them and their career aspirations, so that you can enable them to succeed
- Be a forward-thinking individual who is constantly looking at opportunities to innovate while solving tough business problems
- Work on initiatives that transcend team and org boundaries
- Be responsible for your team's deliveries, roadmap and operations, set standards and lead by example
- 8+ years of experience as a Software Engineer and 2+ in a technical lead/management role
- Excellent knowledge of Java, Rest APIs and SOA
- Experience working with SQL and No-SQL Databases
- Strong background in Cloud computing, preferably AWS
- Experience with message queuing (e.g. RabbitMQ, SQS) and data streaming (e.g. Kinesis)
- Scrum master experience, and/or experience leading agile teams
- Practical experience delivering high quality, production applications in a distributed SOA environment
- Passionate about code and large-scale system design
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, or related discipline
WHY JOIN US:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.