Sr. Network Engineer - Federal Network Operations at ServiceNow
Position: Sr. Network Engineer - Federal Network Operations
Location: San Diego, CA or Santa Clara, CA or Kirkland, WA
“This position involves Federal Regulated Markets and requires the Public Trust Position (PTP) Tier 2 Level suitability adjudication. If offered employment, you must be willing to complete and successfully pass the adjudication process. Any employment is contingent upon obtaining the required adjudication.”
Work matters. It’s where we spend a third of our lives. And the workplace of the future is going to be a great place. We’re dedicated to bringing that to life for people everywhere. That’s why we put people at the heart of everything we do.
People matter. Our people have a passion for learning, building, and innovating. Whether you’re an engineer, a sales professional, a finance professional, or anything in-between, our roles aim to provide each person with meaningful impact and plenty of space to grow.
ServiceNow is changing the way people work. We are redefining markets and changing the perception of enterprise software. Our cloud platform allows enterprises to bring together business strategy, application design and operations in a powerfully simple solution. That all starts and ends with an unrelenting customer focus.
We’re disruptive. We work hard, but try not to take ourselves too seriously. We are highly adaptable and constantly evolving. We are passionate about our product, and we live for our customers. We have high expectations and a career at ServiceNow means challenging yourself to always be better.
What you get to do in this role:
As a Staff Network Engineer on the Cloud Networking team, you will be responsible for building, managing and operating the global network infrastructure that is the foundation of all our services. Maintaining network stability ensures that our customers stay connected with our suite of applications, products and services.
Key to success for this role will be your understanding of the network and using your knowledge and skills in delivering against our goals. The role itself is a combination of deployments, sustainment engineering, and operational (troubleshooting, problem analysis, etc.) tasks and allows for the engineer to be involved in a broad range of network functions. Excellent cross-team collaboration, technical skills, and clear communications are required.
Primary roles and responsibilities are as follows:
- Design and deploy networks based on business and technical requirements.
- Partner with project and program managers to meet overall timelines and resolution of issues.
- Operate and troubleshoot networks to identify and resolve issues quickly.
- Take a lead role in the engagement and mitigation of outage causing events or issues.
- Validate problem descriptions and perform detailed problem diagnosis; track and update problems in trouble-ticketing system.
- Perform non-critical investigations into functionality that is not working as desired.
- Engage deeply in the sustainment function to proactively analyze network parameters such as capacity and availability to ensure issues are fixed before they cause an outage.
- Review, consult and prepare for planned change introduction to production environment.
- Participate in rotating “on call” schedule with other members of the team including weekends.
- Partner with teams to plan and execute software code upgrades and device maintenance.
- Partner with the Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team to provide mentorship and input on operational process improvements.
- Provide feedback to infrastructure architects on design issues or improvements and input into the design process for new initiatives.
Sample first 6-month deliverables
- Quickly integrate into the environment and gain a solid understanding of network architecture, organization, and process/procedures.
- Deploy capacity into a datacenter based on demand.
- Participate in incident bridges and serve as the networking engineering resource to troubleshoot and mitigate outages.
- Take ownership of a minimum of two datacenters perform all sustainment engineering functions.
- Partner with the SRE team to identify and solve one network process issue.
In order to be successful in this role, we need someone who has:
The candidate should have a solid foundation in networking including routing, switching, security and load balancing. The following is a list of requirements for this role:
- 2+ years of experience with cloud computing technologies (e.g. Azure, AWS, Google Cloud Platform, etc.) across Windows and/or Linux
- Azure Core Platform: Compute, Storage, Networking.
- Azure Web Apps: developing, deploying, debugging and supporting web applications using .NET, Java, PHP, Python, Node.js etc. on Windows or Linux.
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD): using DevOps, Bit Bucket, GitHub.
- Experience in one or more automation languages (PowerShell, shell scripts, Perl, Python, Ansible, Terraform) desired.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in working on Internet and data center networks.
- Possess a solid understanding of and have experience with most of the following network technologies: BGP, OSPF, IS-IS, HSRP/VRRP, IPSEC, SNMP.
- Deep, hands-on experience with TCP/IP protocols including capturing and analyzing traffic with Wireshark and/or other tools.
- Familiarity with Cisco IOS and JunOS operating systems required.
- F5 and Cisco ASA knowledge and experience strongly desired.
- Experience with network monitoring applications such as EMC Watch4Net, Cacti, Splunk is a plus.
- Ability to partner with peers who are globally distributed is a key part of this role.
- Passion for customer experiences and focus on delivering high quality support.
- Strong communication skills and empathy for customers.
- Ability to learn new technology in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity.
We are a dynamic and rapidly growing software company with a strong sense of dedication to our customers. We work hard but try not to take ourselves too seriously. This is a very collaborative and inclusive work environment where individuals with strong aptitude and attitude will have an opportunity to grow their professional careers through working with some of the most advanced technology and talented developers/engineers in the business. We provide competitive compensation, generous benefits and a professional, yet relaxed ,atmosphere.
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at (408) 501-8550, or [email protected] for assistance
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at [email protected] for assistance.