Sr SDET (Software Development Engineer in Test)
Are you excited about learning? Do love working in a fun environment with perfect work/life balance? Do you love technology? Are you apt at problem solving and analyzing complex legal and compliance issues? Do you want to join a dynamic and supportive team in a collaborative work environment that will enhance professional skill development? This is your opportunity to join a highly productive team at a fast-growing Software as a Service (SaaS) company doing what you are passionate about. We are dedicated to monitoring transaction taxes at the international, state, county and municipal levels and developing software that keeps pace with the dynamics in the market. Join our team with cool offices offering mechanized desks. We offer free beverages (beer, pop, juice, espresso), a fun and flexible work environment with pool table, gymnasium, yoga, tiki bar, meditation room and subsidized parking
In this role, you will be responsible for design and improvement of functional, performance and integration testing by creating automated test cases to ensure world class quality of Avalara products. This is especially important as we invest in additional core indirect tax coverage and extend the use of the primary tax engine to cover other indirect tax verticals. You will be responsible for understanding requirements and designing test cases from the requirements. You will be working closely with Product Management and Developer teams on a day to day basis. You will be the voice of the customer within the organization, demanding zero defects and ease of use.
We have a startup culture focused on building great software and having the maximum impact on the world that we can and having fun while doing it. We’d love to talk to you about what we are up to.
- Establish yourself as a quality automation expert in the team, advocating for complete code coverage of a large codebase to enable continuous Content delivery to customers
- Responsible for automated testing throughout agile development iterations to ensure zero defects
- Participate in sprint planning, providing input on required testing tasks, process, and associated effort for the selected user stories
- Analyze customer bugs and provide developers, Content Analysts and QA Specialists with a possible way to fix it
- Contribute towards continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Be a key participant in creating a Quality First and Zero Defects culture
- Help to create and maintain enterprise level documentation for a new and fast-growing solution
- Assist the team in improving and adding to monitoring systems in CI, QA, and production environments
- Assist the team in effectively consuming data coming from analytics and monitoring systems, building clear reporting conduits that separate gems from noise and help the team react quickly and effectively to fix developing issues
- Show leadership and dogged investigatory acumen in resolving production issues and outages, and helping the team heal errant processes that led to failures
- Work closely with the SRE team to come up with plans for deployment
Qualifications (absolute must haves walking in the door)
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience supporting teams shipping complex applications to large-scale production environments
- Must be located in the Durham, NC area and be in the office on a regular basis
- Track record of being an effective leader and advocate for best QA practices for continuous deployment
- Responsible for creating reports on cross functional team participation and test plan coverage for every release based on production Content
- Experience creating and using test automation frameworks and tools
- Strong QA skills: planning, exploratory testing, defect reporting and troubleshooting
- Experience working on and testing RESTful web services written in C#
- Experience working on and testing ReactJS and Node.js based UIs
- Experience using various tools such as Nightwatch, Selenium, etc.
- Experience using various BDD frameworks such as Protractor, Cucumber, etc.
- Experience with distributed collaboration tools such as Git, JIRA, and wikis
- Experience working with solutions built on different technology stacks
- Experience in doing tasks related to DevOps for development teams
- Knowledge of working on AWS systems
- Great problem-solving skills
- Experience understanding complex requirements and designing test plans from it
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and flexibility to work collaboratively with others in a dynamic environment
- Excellent communication skills, collaboration, follow-up, and self-motivation
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- Although not generally required, the candidate must be flexible to overlap work timings with other Avalara offices globally, as needed.
Preferred Qualifications (great to have but not absolutely necessary)
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
The perks of working at Avalara go beyond amazing physical spaces and a Tiki Bar. We’re committed to continued progress in diversity and inclusion. As an employee at Avalara, you’ll have the opportunity to join resource groups focused on diversity of thought, engage with your local or global community about topics that matter to you and the organization and receive continued education around inclusion and development. As Avalara grows, so do the voices within it. It’s time to hear your voice.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, gender, nation of origin, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law. We thrive on diversity and encourage people from all walks of life to apply to Avalara’s open positions.