Sr. Software Development Engineer - Python Infrastructure at OfferUp
From the very beginning, OfferUp has believed that the right people united by the right mission can redefine the possible.
OfferUp is now the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the US. We connect millions of people every day, but we’re still as committed as ever to the founding mission: to build the simplest, most trustworthy local marketplace. We help bring people together in their communities to exchange value, and we think that exchange is the foundation for a kind of commerce that redefines what “value” really means. In our world, the things we buy and sell are just the primer for the really important stuff, like meeting our neighbors, getting more connected to the places we live and the things that live with us, and creating a marketplace where everyone has something to offer.AT A GLANCE
- A top shopping app on iTunes and Google Play
- Geekwire App of Year
- 60+ Million Downloads
OfferUp’s Infrastructure Team is looking for an experienced Python engineer who wants to take our critical Python platform to the next level of performance and scalability. This will involve bringing us to Python 3, breaking up a Django monolith, and building high throughput systems. You will also help in creating tools and platforms that increase engineering productivity. You take a performance-minded approach to everything you do, and enjoy scaling Python for tens of millions of daily users.
- Assist with building and scaling Python 3 services to 10,000+ RPS
- Engage with the broader Python community to stay up to date with current trends
- Build tools and services for other engineers to increase velocity and productivity with Python
- Drive our migration to Python 3
- Improve the reliability and efficiency of OfferUp’s core services
- Develop elegant solutions to complex problems using latest best practices
- Experience with using Python to build large scale systems
- Extensive experience with web infrastructure, distributed systems, performance analysis, and traffic manipulation
- 6+ years professional software development experience
- Experience with software engineering best practices (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation)
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Nice to have
- Experience with AWS
- Experience in Docker tool-chains
- Experience designing fault-tolerant distributed systems
- Experience with Java
- Experience with Django, Redis, Memcached, or Postgres
- Contributions to the open-source community
Come do work that matters. Join a team that believes when we all work together, we get more out of things.
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.