Sr. Software Development Engineer
CarRentals Core Services Engineering
CarRentals is a leader in using technology to drive business results. Our mission is to power reliable, trustworthy and scalable services, enabling our eCommerce site and competitive advantage.
We use a blend of open source, custom development, and commercial technologies to build, deliver, and operate a global scale platform that support our 24/7 business. Our ecosystem includes cloud technologies, large scale infrastructure, and micro-services architecture.
As a Senior Engineer on the core platform, you will create solutions related to the heart of our car rental system, including processing searches, booking transactions, and connecting to a vast array of suppliers for inventory. You will be a key contributor in transforming the existing PHP application into a suite of cloud-hosted microservices, optimizing the platform, and laying the groundwork for us to scale to 10x traffic. This role will require you to have demonstrated knowledge of microservice architecture, AWS services, and operational standards to maintain a 24/7 e-commerce platform. You will work in collaboration with partners including Product Managers, Supply Managers, and Marketing to help design, develop, and deliver projects. You will mentor others, and help promote the broader tech organization goals.
Are you passionate about building micro-services technology needed to drive a $100 million dollar business? Do you love building creative, high-scale services using a diverse set of state of the art technologies?
We are looking for a Senior Software Development Engineer with a real passion for backend services. We are responsible for building the processing and orchestration services that powers our eCommerce platform.
In this role, you will build & support CarRentals cloud-based micro-services platform. You will collaborate and partner with engineers, product managers, and business partners to solve big challenges in the ecosystem.
If you have engineering, development, and testing skills on a micro-services platform and you are awesome at programming in Java or similar languages, then this role is for you.
If collaboration, respect, ownership, recognition, trust, test & learn speak to you, and the thought of being part of a growing team excites you, then we definitely want to talk to you.
- Design and deliver project work on-time, and take responsibility for the end-to-end quality and uptime of our new eCommerce platform
- Work with Program Managers and Operations to craft, test and deploy extraordinary software
- Establish metrics and processes to ensure development for scale
- Guide the overall design and architecture of our microservices stack
- Take the lead in driving the team’s design methodology and quality programming practices
- Serve as a mentor to junior members of the development team
- Communicate effectively up and down the organization including to the CTO and engineering leadership team
- 8+ years of experience developing production quality code including playing an active role in all aspects of software design and delivery
- Deep experience in agile/scrum software delivery practices
- Experience with server technologies such as Java, Node.js, or PHP
- Excellent debugging skills to support high load cloud-based production systems
- Experience with microservices architecture, design, and standard methodologies with an eye towards scale
- Experience with AWS services and cloud development patterns
- Strong working relationships with non-technical peers and a demonstrated ability to understand the workings of the overall business
- History of technical depth and recognition within previous teams as a domain authority
- Advocate for product-wide coding quality and a desire to find tractable new ways to improve the group’s coding standards
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent demonstrable hands-on experience
- eCommerce and/or Online Travel systems development experience
- Experience building highly available systems
- CI/CD working knowledge
- Experience with developing test automation
- Familiarity with Spring Framework, MVC, REST web services, TestRail, etc.
- Experience using git in a team setting
- Experience with using JIRA for agile development
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.