Sr. Software Development Engineer
As a Senior Engineer on the core platform, you will create solutions related to the heart of our car rental system, including processing searches, booking transactions, and connecting to a vast array of suppliers for inventory. You will play a critical part in transforming the existing PHP application into a suite of cloud-hosted microservices, optimizing the platform, and laying the groundwork for us to scale to 10x traffic. This role will require you to have proven knowledge of microservice architecture, AWS services, and operational standards to maintain a 24/7 e-commerce platform. You will work in collaboration with partners including Product Managers, Supply Managers, and Marketing to help design, develop, and deliver projects. You will mentor others, and help promote the broader tech organization goals. We use a blend of open source, custom development, and commercial technologies to build, deliver, and operate a global scale platform that support our 24/7 business. Our ecosystem includes cloud technologies, large scale infrastructure, and micro-services architecture.
Are you passionate about building micro-services technology needed to drive a $100 million dollar business? Do you love building creative, high-scale services using a diverse set of state of the art technologies? Are team culture, a growth mindset, and being invested in important to you?
We are looking for a Senior Software Development Engineer with a real passion for backend services. We are responsible for building the processing and orchestration services that powers our eCommerce platform.
In this role, you will build & support CarRentals cloud-based micro-services platform. You will collaborate and partner with engineers, product managers, and business partners to tackle big challenges in the ecosystem.
If you have engineering, development, and testing skills on a micro-services platform and you are awesome at programming in Java or similar languages, then this role is for you.
If teamwork, respect, ownership, recognition, trust, and being personally invested in speak to you, and the thought of being part of a growing team excites you, then we definitely want to talk to you.
What you’ll do:
- Guide the overall design and architecture of our microservices stack
- Take the lead in driving the team’s design methodology and quality programming practices
- Serve as a mentor to other members of the development team
- Communicate effectively up and down the organization including to the CTO and engineering leadership team
- Work with Program Managers and Operations to craft, test and deploy outstanding software
- Establish metrics and processes to ensure development for scale
Who you are:
- 8+ years of experience developing production quality code including playing an active role in all aspects of software design and delivery
- Deep experience in agile/scrum software delivery practices and building highly available systems.
- Experience with server technologies such as Java, Node.js, or PHP and Familiarity with Spring Framework, MVC, REST web services, TestRail, etc.
- Excellent debugging skills to support high load cloud-based production systems
- Experience with microservices architecture, design, and standard methodologies with an eye towards scale
- Experience with AWS services and cloud development patterns
- Strong working relationships with non-technical peers and a demonstrated ability to understand the workings of the overall business
- Advocate for product-wide coding quality and a desire to find tractable new ways to improve the group’s coding standards
Why Join Us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.