Staff Control Engineer (Seattle, WA)
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
IonQ's quantum computing hardware is a complex mix of electrical, mechanical, and optical systems, many of which can benefit from ongoing closed-loop calibration to improve the performance and uptime of the computer. We are seeking an experienced Staff Control Engineer to implement our next-generation calibration software. You’ll help design and build a closed-loop control system that takes advantage of the huge amount of data we have available about the state of our system. You’ll be responsible for understanding the interplay between the physical and software layers, collaborating with experimental and theoretical physics teams, and helping us scale to meet our performance goals. Help us improve our control systems to build the world’s best quantum computers!
- Lead the design, implementation, and deployment of closed-loop calibration systems for our quantum computing hardware
- Ensure the quality of our system through design and code reviews
- Collaborate with an experienced interdisciplinary staff
- Approach problems pragmatically
- Help us continuously improve how we do things
The ideal candidate will have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts, projects, and initiatives. You’ll be able to balance technical expertise and savvy with strong business judgment to make great technology choices. You’ll strive for simplicity and demonstrate significant creativity and incisive judgment.
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechatronics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, or related field
- 7+ years experience in one or more general-purpose programming languages (like Go, Rust, C++, or Python)
- 5+ years professional experience in a field (e.g. robotics) that utilizes feedback control systems and control theory, including classical and modern techniques: PID, frequency domain compensation, root locus, LQR, Kalman filters, and model predictive control
- Experience writing and testing control algorithms on physical hardware, and debugging with hardware-in-the-loop
You’d be a great fit with:
- Master’s degree or PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or Statistics, or related scientific field
- Experience with using machine learning techniques to inform closed-loop calibrations
- Prior experience working with lasers
- Familiarity with computer vision
- Basic or working knowledge of quantum computers
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.