Staff Data Platform Software Engineer - DB at ServiceNow
ServiceNow is making the world of work, work better for people. Our cloud-based platform and solutions deliver digital workflows that create great experiences and unlock productivity for employees and the enterprise. We're growing fast, innovating faster, and making an impact on our customers' and employees' lives in significant and important ways. With over 6,900 customers, we serve approximately 80% of the Fortune 500, and we're on the 2020 list of FORTUNE World's Most Admired Companies.®
We're looking for people who are ready to jump right in and help us build on our incredible momentum, our diverse, engaged workforce, and our purpose to make the world of work, work better.
Learn more on Life at Now blog and hear from our employees about their experiences working at ServiceNow.
Our goal is to build a robust, high performing, and scalable data platform that can support transactional, analytical, and various other workloads our customers deploy. Our data platform engineering team is responsible for building the core engines, persistence layer and tools supporting these use cases. This includes developing in-memory and on-disk data structures and algorithms, row/columnar stores, and caches. Given the ServiceNow platform footprint, even the smallest optimization can have a dramatic impact for our customers and our bottom line.
We are looking for systems level engineers who have experience with low level storage, memory, and CPU optimization to help us achieve those goals. You will work directly with other engineers on the Data Platform team in solving challenging problems in scaling and querying large data sets efficiently both vertically and horizontally.
What you get to do in this role:
- • Be part of a team of super-smart engineers building the next-gen database platform using and contributing to the latest open-source technologies
- • Analyze storage/memory/compute performance and scalability bottlenecks in the system to provide appropriate solutions
- • Improve reliability and observability by designing and building self-diagnostic and self-healing system capabilities
- • Build modules to efficiently manage multiple processes (startup/monitor/restart/shutdown) in both vertical and horizontal scale
What you bring to this role:
- • Bachelor's/Master's/PhD degree in Computer Science or equivalent, with deep knowledge of Operating systems or Database systems
- • Experience working on OS kernel, memory manager, and/or multi-threaded software modules
- • 8+ years of software development experience coding in C, C++, or equivalent low-level languages
- • Strong technical skills with a proven record of architecture (SMP/MPP) & design experience in building large scale distributed systems
- • Experience with cloud architecture is a plus
- • Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- • Excellent written, verbal communication and Inter-Personal skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status or any other category protected by law.
All new employees hired in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to such exceptions as required by law. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of full vaccination or have an approved accommodation, by your start date. Visit our Candidate FAQ page to learn more.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at [email protected] for assistance.
For positions requiring access to technical data subject to export control regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR), ServiceNow may have to obtain export licensing approval from the U.S. Government for certain individuals. All employment is contingent upon ServiceNow obtaining any export license or other approval that may be required by the U.S. Government.
Please Note: Fraudulent job postings/job scams are increasingly common. Click here to learn what to watch out for and how to protect yourself. All genuine ServiceNow job postings can be found through the ServiceNow Careers site .
Work personas are categories that are assigned to employees depending on the nature of their work. Employees will fall into one of three categories: Remote, Flexible or Required in Office.
Required in Office
A required in office work persona is defined as an employee who is contracted to work from or aligned to a ServiceNow-affiliated office. This persona is required to work from their assigned workplace location 100% of the work week based on the business needs of their role.
A flexible work persona is defined as an employee who is contracted to work from or aligned to a ServiceNow-affiliated office and will work from their assigned workplace location roughly 3 days/week or less (generally around 40-60% of the work week). Flexible employees may choose to work the remaining working time from their workplace location or home. Flexible employees are required to work within their state, province, region, or country of employment.
A remote work persona is defined as an employee who performs their responsibilities exclusively outside of a ServiceNow workplace and is not contracted or aligned to a ServiceNow-affiliated office, including those whose place of work (pursuant to their terms and conditions of employment) is their home. Remote employees are required to work within their state, province, region, or country of employment.